• Register Today It's free!

Upper Radiator Hose Leak

NCTuskie

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I've been noticing that my XLT 4.0 has been losing coolant from the overflow. I've also noticed the smell of coolant from under the hood, and have found residue. Other than that no overheating problems. This morning I decided to trace the leak and found coolant pooling on the upper part of the engine block. To me it seems like the leak seems to be coming from the upper radiator hose

I ran the engine to normal range, and noted coolant dripping from the upper radiator hose near the clamp. No spray, just a drip. I also thought i saw the hose bulge at the clamp, might have been my imagination.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if this could be it, or if I need to look elsewhere.

seems like u narrowed it down. its typical the that upper radiator hose is the first to go. and bulging is a clear sign that the hose has been compromised and the risk of it bursting is high.

if its been a while since you've replaced the thermstat, you might want to replace it and do a coolant flush along with the upper hose.

I've been noticing that my XLT 4.0 has been losing coolant from the overflow. I've also noticed the smell of coolant from under the hood, and have found residue. Other than that no overheating problems. This morning I decided to trace the leak and found coolant pooling on the upper part of the engine block. To me it seems like the leak seems to be coming from the upper radiator hose.

I ran the engine to normal range, and noted coolant dripping from the upper radiator hose near the clamp. No spray, just a drip. I also thought i saw the hose bulge at the clamp, might have been my imagination.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if this could be it, or if I need to look elsewhere.
Check the neck where the hose connects, they are known to corrode, if so replace the water neck.

Back