• Register Today It's free!

upper radiator hose leak

Bobby Simone

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer xlt
I just changed the lower t stat housing and have developed a leak on both ends of the upper radiator hose past the tension clamps. The system was bled and there should be no air in there. Thanks. The leak is very minor just a few drops at each end of the hose around the lip past the clamps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You replaced the lower hose. Why not the upper? They're probably the same age. Hoses fail from the inside. Your inside is leaking and then it follows the threads to the ends and leaks out. It will soon fail completely. Replace it before it leaves you stranded and don't forget the bypass hose.

Like Koda said, don't forget the bypass hose.
It's not too hard a job to do when you're at home with all your tools and if you're doing the upper hose anyway; but it's a ******* of a job if you're at the side of the road and the screwdriver you have doesn't fit.

Ask me how I know.

Second gens running the original cooling system hoses are just asking for trouble. This stuff doesn't last forever. Very easy to change, just empty the system, swap hoses, and refill.

I also like to change the radiator drain plug while the system is empty. That little plastic stopper develops cracks/leaks as well.

Just replaced all the hoses, like said do the same, even the small bypass hose etc.

I just recently bought this car and po had radiator replaced and new hoses except the one that's leaking. It's the part of the upper radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing/outlet. Anybody have a good part number for this, my local Napa said they didn't have what I needed.
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=48847
It's the hose in the pic with the two clamps. Thanks and sorry but I'm just learning how to work on cars.

Watch out for some of the aftermarket hose brands. Some of them are simply too large in diameter and will never seal at the ends no matter what you do with clamps. The OEM style constant-tension clamps also work much better than worm-style clamps.

Being that it is an SOHC at the thermostat end, are you SURE it is the hose? Double check.

Watch out for some of the aftermarket hose brands. Some of them are simply too large in diameter and will never seal at the ends no matter what you do with clamps. The OEM style constant-tension clamps also work much better than worm-style clamps.

Being that it is an SOHC at the thermostat end, are you SURE it is the hose? Double check.

Pretty sure, it's small drops of coolant on both ends. I just replaced the housing and its dry as can be. What are you suggesting if it's not the hose?

The housing. They are a common failure on these. But leaks from the hoses are common too, and much easier to fix.

^
I just changed the lower t stat housing and have developed a leak on both ends of the upper radiator hose past the tension clamps.

I just replaced the housing and its dry as can be.
Easy to over tighten though. Factory torque spec is only 6.6-9.6 ft/lb.

Back