• Register Today It's free!

Upper Steering Shaft

Dick Berg

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer EB 4L SOHC
Hello out there - I have a 1997 Ex, EB, 4L SOHC, tilt wheel.
The problem is the rubber boot on the steering shaft is torn. The joint where the boot is torn is fairly close to the steering box. I'm referring to the shaft between the firewall (not all the way to it) and the rack which can be easily seen from under the hood. Apparently, the assembly is obsolete from Ford. I contacted LMC truck and they have it, but when I asked them to verify it had the boot, they said it didn't. I was kind of surprised that it didn't have the boot, but that's what they said. Obviously, I didn't buy it.
Is there anyone out there who has dealt with this before? It looks like there's only two bolts, one towards the firewall and one towards the rack that hold the assembly in place.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look at these two threads:

Thread 1

Thread 2

The lower boot on mine has been torn for awhile. Haven't had the time to deal with it and the bearings haven't died yet.

Hi dick
I had a torn boot and dry uj that was binding a little. As you say a couple of bolts and it was off. Got a universal steering rack boot and cut to size, greased up and zip tied it in place. Been good for a year now.

Torn Steering Boot

Jan - Good to hear from you again.
You were a great source of information this past summer when I replaced the left camshaft guide without having to remove the jackshaft sprocket and re-time the engine. It turned out great. I used the technique suggested by 2000streetrod, based on a procedure I believe was originally developed by gold984by4.
Anyway, I'll have to look into getting a universal boot as you suggested. Any suggestions for a make and/or model that will fit? What kind of grease did you use?
So far, the steering is fine, but with winter coming, I wanted to get it sealed up before I started having problems.
Do you think I may have compromised the integrity of the joint by driving it with a torn boot for at least a year?
Is the removal and reinstallation as easy as removing and reinstalling the two bolts? Does anything else have to be removed or relocated to do the job?

Thanks, and Best Regards,
Dick

PS - OneLever, thanks also to you for the threads.

From what i remember one of the bolts was hard to get but otherwise not a nightmare (hold on a mo, just realised yours is on the other side). Not sure how under the hood is for access for you tho i assume it is the mirror image (ish) of mine.
The boot i bought was a universal inner tie rod boot, not specific to any particular model. Not sure if you can get that sort of thing over there but worth a look. Any thick grease would be fine but i used Moly grease (used in CV Joints) just in case the heat from the manifold had an effect.
As for damage, i think you will be good as the uj is sturdy affair and if you are not getting any binding a regrease and new boot will see it outlast the new chain guides LOL

Hello out there - I have a 1997 Ex, EB, 4L SOHC, tilt wheel.
The problem is the rubber boot on the steering shaft is torn. The joint where the boot is torn is fairly close to the steering box. I'm referring to the shaft between the firewall (not all the way to it) and the rack which can be easily seen from under the hood. Apparently, the assembly is obsolete from Ford. I contacted LMC truck and they have it, but when I asked them to verify it had the boot, they said it didn't. I was kind of surprised that it didn't have the boot, but that's what they said. Obviously, I didn't buy it.
Is there anyone out there who has dealt with this before? It looks like there's only two bolts, one towards the firewall and one towards the rack that hold the assembly in place.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick

I found the same thing on my 2000 X, the boot can be replaced. I would suggest it as a "Just in case" thing. The joint can get gunked up and it will rust. Just undo the bolts and slide the old boot off (mine was broken) replace it with new using plenty of grease. It's an easy fix.

Yeah I would definitely recommend replacing the boot I just don't have the schedule to. Sharing a daily driver means all repairs have to be done perfect the first time, on time, every time. Never mind the other tasks of the day. It's a rolling miracle after each job and this forum is a godsend.

Torn Steering Boot

jls1znv9999 - Thanks for the information.
When I checked with Ford, they said that the boot wasn't available. Same response from aftermarket parts manufacturers.
I would appreciate it if you could provide a part number and manufacturer for me. I wonder if the boot you used will fit on mine, since you have a newer Ex. Do you have a tilt-wheel?
Is it really as easy as it looks to remove the shaft? Two bolts and out?

Thanks,
Dick

Back