Upsizing tires w/o changing OEM 18" rims - what size and is it safe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upsizing tires w/o changing OEM 18" rims - what size and is it safe?

BeSkywards

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer XLT
Hi, I've been searching this forum for an information on upsizing tires without changing factory 18" rims. I haven't found a definite answer though, so here's a precise issue.

I'm feeling 245/60/R18 wheels look a bit to small for Explorer. I've previoulsly owned 2003 explorer and after fitting larger A/T tires to original rims it looked way better, so I decided to do the same with the new car. Tire calcutator shows 265/60/R18 as an tolerable equivalent to 245/60/R18 and so the side wall of the tire would be 6,3". Having this checked with a measure on the car it should give the wheel more proporional look. The difference is the tolerable limit of 3%.

Alternatively, I could go with 265/55/R18 but the result will be less visible. Some of Explorer owners reported increase wear and defects of axle/drives and power distribution since the computer isn't programmed for a wheels different that factory approved sizes

And here's my question: can I fit a larger tires (meaning the same 18" rim but the higher sidewall) without making the car prone to damages? If yes, what's the biggest tire I can fit with 18" rim without problems? Or maybe I should leave it as it is for the sake of sound ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The difference using the 265/60R18 is 3.2% which shouldn't be a big issue. It is just that you likely won't be able to select the vehicle's preprogrammed sizes to reflect it.
This past Winter I used 235/60R18 wheels/tires to replace the OEM 255/50R20 ones. The difference is -3.1% and I had no issues other than the speedo being off slightly.
The Winter wheels were previously used on my 2014 MKT and the tires will be replaced with the proper size (235/65R18) if and when they ever wear out.:)

Peter

Many thanks!
Do you have any experience with TPMS? Does it needs reprogramming once the tire is changed (without changing rims)?

Many thanks!
Do you have any experience with TPMS? Does it needs reprogramming once the tire is changed (without changing rims)?
No, there is no need to change the TPMS sensors. The only time you would have to change them is if you were using an existing pre 2016 wheel since they use a different sensor because they do not show individual tire readouts. When I used the wheels I ran on the 2014 MKT on the 2017 Explorer, I had to change them.

Peter

Back