Urgent 01 Sport Transmission swap questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Urgent 01 Sport Transmission swap questions...

blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
In the middle of swapping out a bad trans on the 01 sport...

Got the trans out.. and there appears to be a sensor on the side (circled yellow)
CAM00137-1.jpg

However, the trans going in also from an 01 sport appears to have no sensor (circled red)
CAM00136-1.jpg

Am I able to use the trans without plugging in that extra sensor, or is it just going to cause me problems? if I can't use it, I'm going to be parting it out...

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the old trans may have been installed used at some point. i beleive it is from a 97 model. That sensor was eliminated mid production in 97, and was deleted from the PCM on the models that did have the sensor. Somewhere on here there is a TSB that explains it, but basicly it is just an extra sensor that goes to nothing. Go ahead and install it as long as there was no connector on the trans harness.

There was a connector... and... the wiring harness is part of the engine loom on this one, but was detachable on the one that the donor transmission came out of...

Si

yea, after further research i think mid production the sports got wired like an 02, car-part.com lists 2 trans options for the 01 sports and trac's, but just one for the regular explorers. i suspect you may have a 5r55s or w(not sure which came 1st anymore)

dude that second trans looks like mine all the sensors on mine are in the same spots

I'll wait to see what Russ or Glacier can shed on it... in the morning hopefully, and go from there... really don't wanna part it out...

Si

well, just carried the trans/torque converter to the shop.. (on my own)... going to get it installed in a bit here and I guess we'll know one way or the other...

Si

I just had a thought, the TSB for the 97 said to splice the pins from the connector if the trans was replaced with one without the sensor, so if there is an issue maybe try that and see what happens before you part it out

and now the flywheel won't move with the trans bolted to it... I give up for tonight... gonna have another go tomorrow...

Si

ive been there, i know you dont want to hear this, but you are gonna have to get the trans on the ground and re-seat the Torque Converter

sorry for my delayed response, ive been out of town for thanksgiving. Simon, can you provide me your vin number (in pm of course) and the wire colors of the connector you say is in your harness? Ill be able to tell that way what exact job your sport is and what that sensor does. thanks! Ill be at work till 6:00 pm central time and can look all this info up here at the dealer. Thanks bud!

Simon, can you pm your email? I have some info on the truck you might want to look at...

I hope I can reply here but that is the Intermediate Shaft Speed (ISS) Sensor, that comes on the late 2001 Sport / Sport Tracs the Job 2's. There was quite a few changes from the early to late 2001 Sports / Sport Tracs. If the broken trans is your original than the replacement trans will need it as well.

The ISS is a magnetic pickup that sends planetary sun gear speed information to the powertrain control module (PCM). The ISS is mounted externally on the center of the case. The PCM uses the ISS information to aid in determining pressure requirements.

Got the trans out.. and there appears to be a sensor on the side (circled yellow)
CAM00137-1.jpg

However, the trans going in also from an 01 sport appears to have no sensor (circled red)
CAM00136-1.jpg

Am I able to use the trans without plugging in that extra sensor, or is it just going to cause me problems? if I can't use it, I'm going to be parting it out...

Si

CAM00137-1.jpg

CAM00136-1.jpg

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I able to remove the cap and pre drill the screw hole to use the speed sensor.As I am having the same issue as this person was.

Back