Urgent! Changed thermostat, now temp gauge is stuck! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Urgent! Changed thermostat, now temp gauge is stuck!

itm901

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' sport
Hi everyone! I just replaced the thermostat in my parents 99' Explorer v6. After istalling the thermostat, I cranked the engine and let it warm up for a bit. I watched the temp needle slowly climb to a little below the half way mark and was very happy that the new thermostat was working. I went and drove it around for a little bit but when I returned to the car, I noticed that the temp gauge was still at the half way mark! It never went back down. Does anyone know why this happened? Help would be greatly appreciated asap! My parents are trying to go on a roadtrip in a few hours! Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the engine is still running that is how the system is supposed to work.. If the cooling system has too much Air then you will see dramatic swings from normal to low and back.

If you shut the engine off does the temp go back down?

How long did the motor sit? Was the old thermostat stuck open? If so the motor would have cooled off sooner, than if you had a properly working thermostat. I don't see how a changed thermostat could stick your temp gauge.

disconnect the sender and see if it changes.... it should go low (cold). If you ground it, it should show high (hot).

When you turn the engine off, the needle does not drop. It only goes back down after restarting the engine, and then only if the engine has cooled.

sorry if my questions seem dumb but im new to fords. So, if the engine has reached operating temperature and the temp guage is reading correctly and I shut the engine off the needle will not drop back down to cold? It will only drop back down to cold after the engine has been restarted?

Exactly.;)

Other than that, any other problems with it?

You don't have to restart it, just turn the key to the on position.

ok cool! thanks for your help guys! Nope, no other known problems. Well....... I take that back, lol. The emergency brake light is always on even though the e-brake is not engaged. Anyone know how to fix it?

The only two things that light the e-brake light are the pedal switch on the e-brake pedal, and the low fluid level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir. Odds are it's the fluid level, which is generally a decent indication that the brakes are worn quite a bit. It's worth checking out....

-Joe

Back