• Register Today It's free!

Urgent! Coolant leak

Broke(n)

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 300A Limited
Just minutes ago I came home from work and after shutting truck off, I see steam coming from hood. I open and see steam coming from center of engine. PLEASE tell me this isn't a head gasket.
I heard a bubbling sound but couldn't exactly pinpoint the exact area. I could only guess and took pictures of where I think it's coming from.
I did not overheat. BUT.... Last weekend I took a trip to the river and coming back, I started getting a little hot due to climbing grade and AC was on. I immediately shut off AC and turned on heater and put fan on high. Gauge went down and everything seemed fine.
Could I have done something then?

2nsb7g6.jpg

2iulat.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 or 4.6? The 4.0 thermostat housings are notorious for failing and flooding the valley between the heads. It's a simple and inexpensive fix if that is the case.

Yeah, been researching while waiting for replies and I was going to say thermostat housing. But I think I just got lucky.
Went out to look at it some more and I was messing with the smaller hose that connects to the heater core, and while moving it around it started hissing, like pressure and coolant spit out a little. I think I may just need to replace that hose.

Spoke too soon. It's the housing where that hose connects (heater) all cracked.
This is going to be a fun day.....

Well, replaced thermostat housing. Took me forever simply because of those stupid pinch clamps.
I just hope all is well now. Guess a few days will find out. Still smelling burnt coolant but figure it's the stuff sitting on the block that pooled that still needs to burn off. Still makes me worried when I get a whiff.
Little upset that I had to pay $73 when Amazon had it for $45 and free same day but I needed it finished before work and didnt know when Amazon might deliver.

Well, replaced thermostat housing. Took me forever simply because of those stupid pinch clamps.
I just hope all is well now. Guess a few days will find out. Still smelling burnt coolant but figure it's the stuff sitting on the block that pooled that still needs to burn off. Still makes me worried when I get a whiff.
Little upset that I had to pay $73 when Amazon had it for $45 and free same day but I needed it finished before work and didnt know when Amazon might deliver.
That's still waaaayyy better than a head gasket, though. Right?

Back