urgent help needed 2000 ford explorer 4.0sohc starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

urgent help needed 2000 ford explorer 4.0sohc starting

pmactoob

Reaction score
City, State
herrin il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
just finished a engine swap on my explorer all in all back together starter will not turn over I have voltage to it and it will turn over when I jump the solenoid the key will not turn it over did I trip out the theft system it is the only thing I can think of if I did any way to fix it im so ready to get it back on the road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The anti-theft system does not disable the starter. I turns off the fuel injectors. I suspect you've got something wired incorrectly.

ok thx I will go through the wiring I will sleep a little easier it may be a broken wire on the solenoid well that is a good place to start

ok starting problem fixed now I have a new problem now it keeps acting like its missing idle speed all over the place from 870 to 1500 and it only seems to happed when it runs for 15 min it is so confusing already changed out the coil pack it almost seams like the timing to the plugs is getting thrown off somehow plz help

Idle speed is controlled by the PCM, coolant temp sensor and IAC.

so the idle air control could be starving it causeing it to miss even at above idle speed

could the iac be the cause of it it seams to be running good at high rpm I just replace the iac last year

could the iac be the cause of it it seams to be running good at high rpm I just replace the iac last year

Could be that or a pretty bad vacuum leak.

what bothers me is it will run fine for about 15 min then act up

I would imagine 15 mins is the amount of time the coolant temp sensor is telling the PCM to raise the idle a bit, but the idle should never be as high as 1500 rpm. 1100 RPM max during warm up. Have you tried unplugging the IAC? Also, during warm up the engine is operating in open-loop mode so a vacuum leak leak might not have as much of an effect on idle. Once the engine goes into closed-loop mode there's less fuel going into the engine, so a vacuum leak would be more noticeable. There are many places for vacuum to be leaking, PCV, power brake booster, fuel evap purge, various small vac lines on the intake, vacuum reservoir ball and it's lines, intake tube between the MAF and the T/B. With your high idle, you should be seeing a CEL telling you that the IAC can't control the engine's idle speed as determined by the PCM.

http://www.engine-codes.com/p1506_ford.html

awesome ok ill check them out computer just picked up the p1506 code with the new engine ill double check the vac lines I did unplug the iac it ran worse so I guessing that is no the problem

Code P1504

http://www.engine-codes.com/p1504_ford.html

With any ODB codes, you have to keep in mind that whatever they tell you, it's only pointing you to an area to be examined. You can never take them at face value. For instance, I had an engine that had a misfire code for cyl four. That code may have been a plug or plug wire or fuel injector related, but it turned to be a broken valve.

Update. All good. It's running great thx for all the help. And advice.
Ditto Koda. The WORST way to close a thread. Please tell, or we won't sleep tonight. ;) LOL

the thread isn't closed yet the problem was a bad coil and a bad crank position sensor replaced both took care of the problem once I figure out how to post pics on here ill post some pics of the computer screen shots have some other minor problems but I am going to deal with them one at a time o2 sensors replacement is the next project lol

Back