• Register Today It's free!

Urgent help needed. 92 xlt

fordby4

Reaction score
City, State
Santa FE New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I pulled of the interstate today on my home and the x was running fine but when I went to take off from the first light it stumbled like never before and then I could feel a loss of power so I pulled into the nearest parking lot. I shut it off and then looked under the hood but did not notice anyhting out of the ordinary. When I went to start it back up, it would not start just kept crankin'. Finally after letting it rest for about 30 minutes it started but then immediately stopped and I tried it again and it started but then bogged down and when I tried to give it gas it would just bog down even worse. I got towed back home and did a little research and then replaced the fuel filter which seemed to help it because now it starts and is responsive to the gas pedal. When I give it gas it revs fine and seems to have power but then I let it idle and it starts bogging down again. It seems like it is not getting enough gas when I dont push the pedal. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump or possibly a pressure regulator? These are the two options that I narrowed it down to by searching but couldnt find any definitive answers. Thanks for all the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should test the fuel pressure

also something you can do real quick is pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and if gas comes out or you smell gas then it is bad, but from what you have said i would guess it is probably going to be the fuel pump or something in the ignition system

check fuel pressure . If you smell gas at idle, you could have a line leak.

I know it sounds crazy, but when was the last time you changed your plugs and wires?

I had that same problem. Changing the fuel filter made it better, but did not completely cure it. I had to dump fuel injector cleaner (Techron, Gumout) into her with every tank-up for the next month before she recovered.

I had also tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator, but it didn't help.

It just took massive doses of fuel injector cleaner, and an occasional sip of Marvel Mystery Oil (hey, why not?).

When I removed the fuel filter I noticed there was something rattling around inside it. My theory is that the filter (Fram) suffered an internal failure that let dirt get up to the injectors.

Bob

Back