Urgent Help Needed -Airbox vacuum line- | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Urgent Help Needed -Airbox vacuum line-

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
City, State
Guadalajara, Jalisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger '92 XLT 4WD
Hello every one.
I'm looking help with the vacuum lines in the airbox. I read in several posts about one line goes to the motor and the other one to the thermostatic control valve. I recently buy a Ranger 1992 XLT 4WD (6Cyl, 4.0L, auto) and the hoose going to the motor is loose and I dont find any connector for this hoose. I'm attaching a pic taken from other message to explain better my problem, the num. 1 hoose is loose. Can any one tell me where I need plug this vacum line, if some one have a pic I will apreciate it a lot.
Thanks to all for the help.

Stock_air_box_006.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In short, one of those hoses goes to a vacuum source and the other hose goes down to the vacuum controlled valve that is on the intake tube that is BEFORE the air box.

The vacuum controlled valve is where the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold connects to the end of the air box right where the intake tube meets. It allows hot air that is coming from around the manifold to get into the engine when the engine is cold which allows it to warm up faster.

~Mark

i agree with maniak. i completely took mine off and it still runs fine

i agree with maniak. i completely took mine off and it still runs fine

I forgot to say.. I just removed both of those vacuum lines and put a cap on the vacuum tree (octopus) where the line used to be years ago. If you lived in a very cold climate, you may want that, but here in Southern Az things are warmed up before you even start them in the heat of the summer.

~Mark

I appreciate a lot your answers, I tought this could be a problem, like a vacuum leak, but I try to find where connect this hoose and I dont find nothing. even don't have the tube going from the air intake to the motor. I just dont whant any vacuum leak or problem for this stuff (hoose going from air box to motor and the tube from the air intake to motor).
Thanks a lot for your help

I forgot to say.. I just removed both of those vacuum lines and put a cap on the vacuum tree (octopus) where the line used to be years ago. If you lived in a very cold climate, you may want that, but here in Southern Az things are warmed up before you even start them in the heat of the summer.

~Mark

how do you cap it off at the tree? do you have pics of it

i used a the elbow that was the and stuck a #1 philips in the end i wold take a pic but it raining out you can stick a bolt and they sell caps that can go over it

how do you cap it off at the tree? do you have pics of it

I don't have any pics handy, BUT, just follow the hose that is connected to the vacuum source back towards the engine. IF its connected to a vacuum source you will feel suction on the line.

IF it goes all the way back to the vacuum tree (octopus), they sell caps to put on the unused ports. Even from the factory a few of them are capped off.

IF the line goes to another line/fitting I would pull the line off the fitting and put the cap there.

I can't remember if the line goes all the way back to the vacuum tree on a stock setup since ours hasn't been stock for years. I had a few vacuum lines go bad over the years and I just ran lines right from the tree to the devices that needed the vacuum source.

~Mark

...The easiest is as Maniak said, cap it off at the source...

...The hose does go all the way back to the vacuum tree...I swap my stock setup regular so I cap mine off at the other end of the hose at the airbox for an easy swap...

...A picture of how I cap it off and a bit more information on this subject can be found here...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241696&highlight=cai

Back