• Register Today It's free!

urgent help

steeltowninwv

Reaction score
City, State
white sulphur springs west virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer xlt
my 94 explorer 4.0 started running rough at idle..and running rich...also had a real hard miss going down the highway....so i replaced plugs wires and coil pack...this fixed the hard miss.....still running rough and running rich...had it scanned the other day...it said insufficient egr flow..replace dpfe sensor...so i replaced that sensor today...it helped the vehicle none...still the same symptoms....should i replace the egr valve now?

forgot to mention

it leaves a black spot on the pavement at the exhaust when let idle at the same spot very long........could it be the fuel pressure regulator?

this gave me that idea from another post;;
Check the fuel pressure. After I rebuilt my motor I had a similar symptom.

The truck would start and all seemed fine.. I would drive to work (30 miles.. mostly freeway). When I got off the freeway the RPMs were low and the truck was running really rough.

When troubleshooting it I noticed that it made a black spot on the ground at the exhaust. I figured it was running rich so I checked the fuel pressure. I had between 60psi and 90psi at idle when it had the problem. What was wierd was I didn't have really high fuel pressure when the truck was first started in the morning. Only after driving it a bit.

I installed a new Fuel pressure regulator and all is fine now

Way to answer your own post. Wish my issues were that easy :)

Thanks for the input
Walter

Back