URGENT Please Help! 4R55E Torque Converter Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

URGENT Please Help! 4R55E Torque Converter Question

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0
I have a 96 4.0 with a 4R55e that was rebuilt 20k miles ago (out of warranty previous owner was an old man who passed away so the truck sat for a while). Lately on the freeway my truck will shift into overdrive fine which the rpms are at about 2000rpms at 65mph and then all of a sudden it will be seem to down shift but not into 3rd. The rpms jump up to 2400 and stay there but if I hit the overdrive button and cruise in 3rd for a min or two it will shift back into od fine once I hit the button again. Does this sound like the torque converter is going bad? I have no flashing od lights or check engine lights. I need all the help I can get cause I am driving it 1800 miles to California for school in 2 months. Thanks guys

Sorry but from your description, I can't tell if the TC is unlocking or if it is shifting to 3rd gear with the TC locked. You could have a bad brake pedal switch which will unlock the TC. A normally operating switch will unlock the TC with just a slight tap.

It will shift into od but seems to unlock randomly but doesn't go into 3rd when it does unlock. It stays between 3rd and od

Anyone have an idea as to what would cause the TC to keep unlocking in OD?

Back