Us Euro towing package adapter??

bratman

Reaction score
City, State
Brussels, Belgium
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt sohc
Ok .
I finally got my ball thing for towing. My problem is that the towing package on my X is us spec. I live in europe and the plug for brake loghts for the trailer is completely different. Anybody know if there is an adapter? Perhepas I could make if myself?
I'll be grateful for any ideas!
Charles.
97 SOHC
;) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if there is an adaptor but for towing in Europe I had to get a new tow hitch fitted complete with wiring to pass the safety tests. Just fitting the ball in the bumper was not good enough. I believe that in the states they call it a class 3 hitch. Here is apicture of what I mean.
Outside2.JPG

I have never seen a foriegn trailer adaptor...do you have a picture of one Howard?

Sorry to take this off topic, but do those lights on your bumper work Howard?

Yes they are required by law as rear fog lights. They only work with dipped beam on. There is a switch below the rear wiper knob on the centre dash.

thats basically a snazzy classIII....class III denotes the weight carrying capacity and in general, a class III will have 3 bolts on each side directly into the frame (total 6) although my class III has a total 8 bolts into the frame.

yup...class III.

Originally posted by Howard
They only work with dipped beam on.

Does that mean low beam(sorry, communication gap:p) So basically they're rear fogs that are red? Cool, now back to hitches :)

I meant the plug for brake lights etc

sorry, my question was not well put.
I meant the plug that is for brake lights and turn signal on the trailer.
My euro spec trailer plug does not fit my US one.
Any ideas
Thanks fellas
charles

If memory serves and they didn't change things since I left. The euro spe. has 7 wires. This is because the Euro Spec vehicles do not use the brake lights for indicators. They are on a seperate circuit.
The US spec "Flat 4" wiring is
Flat 4 wiring code

WHITE ground
YELLOW left turn/brake light
GREEN right turn/brake light
BROWN tail

You can check out the other wiring colors and compare them to Euro Spec. codes here.
wirecolor.gif

Yes thats quite right you will have to wire it up to the loom behind one of the rear lights. You only need to go on one side as all the wires are there. Use a test light to identify the wires.

Back