• Register Today It's free!

USB Hub upgrade?

VandyCWG

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if that would work. I'd call a dealer and try to find an OEM part and number.

That unit will work, but they do have a small frame one and a large frame one. Also, with 3.4 version of Sync, it is supposed to support Quick Charge.
I am looking at doing this also, but the only large one i can find is 120.00. I am looking to spend a little less.

It shows on the chart that this is compatible with my '17 Explorer.

Have you gotten a chance to test to see if usb-pd charging works?

I have been interested in adding this but wasn't sure if android auto would be supported via the usb-c port.

Thanks.

i have it ordered. From what i have read, you must have 3.4 installed to take advantage of Quick Charge.
I will post when i have it hooked up.

Thanks, I'm assuming you purchased the one in your link as opposed to the first post since it had compatibility with the Explorer?

I look forward to seeing how it goes!

The one i ordered is more expensive, but i wanted the larger one. Also this one on EBAY is 149.00.

The one i ordered is more expensive, but i wanted the larger one. Also this one on EBAY is 149.00.

Did you ever get a chance to install this and try it out?

There was a delay, tracking says will be here tomorrow.

Got a package in from Amazon, supposed to be the hub...was 4 ink pen replacement cartridges. WTH
Returned the package and got credited for the 82.00. I then found one and ordered it off eBay, will be here next week.

I think you are the second member to have been shipped that item, Joe. The scenario is very familiar.

Peter

I ordered ambient light kit for explorer, twice and received a single small light bulb each time. So in the same time frame I sent 3 packages back to Amazon...first time in the 5-10 years of being Prime member I’ve ever sent something back.

I ordered the large USB-C hub from Amazon yesterday. Was $50.
Today got an email that the order was cancelled due to non availability.
Found a small Hub on ebay for $49 so I'm going to try it and make a CF adapter plate. It is for a 2020 Explorer but the plugs look the same.

We may have ordered the same one, guess we will see, hard to tell the size by the picture. Anyway good luck, I will post when mine comes in

OK, received the USB-C hub from Ebay.
My Setup:
2018 Limited with Sync 3.4 v19200
Ebay C Hub: 2020 Explorer USB Hub OEM LB5T-14F014-CB
Old Hub: HUST-14F014-AB

The good:
USB-C works.
FC seems to work.
Both USB-C and USB-A can be used at the same time.
It was only $48.

The Bad:
Can't find the correct big size hub. Need to make an adapter for the small one.
You lose the second USB-A port in the big console.
That's because the USB-C hub has only one Mini input for the car harness. The other Mini USB hangs free.
See pic.
usb-hubs.jpg

I did not check the USB-A ports on the rear of the console.

ETA. The inside console USB-A is dead. No power or signal.
The two USB-A under the rear AC panel are good.
I opened up the blank plug on the new hub to stow the extra connector.

I'll keep it since I don't use the console port anyway.

Fritz

I cant wait to get mine in. I am assuming i am getting the smaller version also. I have seen some adapter plates on ebay but not sure if they will work for our situation.

I cant wait to get mine in. I am assuming i am getting the smaller version also. I have seen some adapter plates on ebay but not sure if they will work for our situation.

I used a piece of 1mm CF plate I had lying around. Any thin 1/8 in plastic piece will work. Five minute epoxy to the hub (sides only as it fits snug on top and bottom into the opening) and then 3M tape the plate to the backplate.
1/4 in top and bottom, 1/2 in each side surround. Just right.

Nice blue glow around the ports too.

Fritz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back