• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

USB hub upgrade

Joe Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I want to get the latest USB hub with usb-c but and just upgrading from sync 3 v2.2 to the latest 3.4. was wondering if the usb-c type c up can allow the upgrade to 3.4 or if I need the old USB hub to upgrade then change to the usb-c.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Joe. :wave:
I don't have the answer but I'm sure some members will. Have you already changed your MFT Sync 2 hardware to Sync 3?

Peter

Joe Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Well I have the sync 3 unit, and GPS antenna but not the hub yet.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
There are several members who have made the change so I'm sure someone will be able to assist you. Good luck.

Peter

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I ordered the hub from Amazon and twice they have sent me a complete wrong item. I got 2 ink pen refill cartridges and have had to send both back and initiate a credit. As soon as i get one in my hands, i will let you guys know. I already have 3.4 on my sync 3, just waiting for the hub.....

Joe Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I ordered the hub from Amazon and twice they have sent me a complete wrong item. I got 2 ink pen refill cartridges and have had to send both back and initiate a credit. As soon as i get one in my hands, i will let you guys know. I already have 3.4 on my sync 3, just waiting for the hub.....
Well my question is the hub pre 3.4 but hey any info and not ink cartridges would be helpful! Thanks brother.

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
From my understanding. The hub will work pre 3.4, but will not have the QC charge rate that is made available in 3.4. Plus the type c usb transfers data quicker and more stable. That is my reason for upgrading, otherwise I would leave it as is.

Joe Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
No that is the smaller version made for f150.

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
34D51A8F-6B9A-4699-95DF-302325C4968B.png

Joe Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Ughhhh I cannot find the 2.5" one anywhere. Looked even on the Chinese sites.

Joe Ruff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So I finally got one from Amazon! It came quickly and worked 100%. Installed then upgraded from 2.2 to 3.4.

All in on my switch from MFT to Sync 3 has me at $295 + programming which I probably could have done myself. Super happy though and unit works perfectly!

Gmac 14EXP LTD

Reaction score
City, State
CALGARY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Exp, ltd
So I finally got one from Amazon! It came quickly and worked 100%. Installed then upgraded from 2.2 to 3.4.

All in on my switch from MFT to Sync 3 has me at $295 + programming which I probably could have done myself. Super happy though and unit works perfectly!
Is it possible to get a USB hub from a new model ford that would work? I have a 2014 ford expl ltd and need to upgrade the USB hub anyway (it doesn't charge my phone at all but does allow AA).

Any guidance would be appreciated, I don't want to drop $250+ on a usb hub when the conversion from MFT to Sync3 cost met less than $200 total.