• Register Today It's free!

USB Suddenly Stopped Working

MattBrink

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I've been enjoying my new-to-me 2011 Explorer Limited quite a bit for the last week using my iPod Classic 80 Gig version to play music. Unfortunately it suddenly stopped being recognized by the Sync/MFT system. It is still plugged in and it shows the Ford logo on the screen but the name doesn't show up in the "button" on the touch screen and when I do press it the message says "No USB Device Connected."

I believe I am running the latest update, I pulled it down from the Ford site right after I got the thing on 2/18. I'm bummed out because my Bluetooth streaming seems to have stopped too (it shows connected to my iPhone 4 but no audio comes out.) Is this something that could be fixed by either using the USB (Sirius) reboot method, pulling the fuse or doing a master reset?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

happens all the time, just unplug it and plug it back in. May take several tries, may also need to reboot the ipod.

I switched to an old iphone which has helped a bit, but still has the same issue occasionally.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I already tried that several times. I've also tried another USB cable and another iPod and the behavior is the same.

I think the no Bluetooth audio issue is related. I tried powering off and on my iPhone as well as deleting and re-pairing it and neither one fixed the issue. I found this thread with what appears to be a report of the same issue so I don't think it's just me. Unfortunately the last post was 8/2011 and there wasn't really any resolution.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I already tried that several times. I've also tried another USB cable and another iPod and the behavior is the same.

I think the no Bluetooth audio issue is related. I tried powering off and on my iPhone as well as deleting and re-pairing it and neither one fixed the issue. I found this thread with what appears to be a report of the same issue so I don't think it's just me. Unfortunately the last post was 8/2011 and there wasn't really any resolution.

Have you tried going into the MFT system menu and doing a master reset? I would give that a try and see it helps your connectivity issues.

Have you tried going into the MFT system menu and doing a master reset? I would give that a try and see it helps your connectivity issues.

I haven't yet - in my first post I was asking if this was something that was worth trying.

There seem to be three "magic" methods of fixing issues. From my first post:

Is this something that could be fixed by either using the USB (Sirius) reboot method, pulling the fuse or doing a master reset?

I was hoping that someone else would have either had the issue and fixed it or that there was another tactic.

I tried the USB (Sirius) update/reboot trick and it resulted in a "Invalid or Unsigned File" error dialog which was followed by "This USB device is not supported. Please remove."

I tried a Master Reset next, that didn't seem to make any difference in the iPod being recognized. I didn't have time to power off and back on the system after the reset or re-pair my iPhone to check Bluetooth audio streaming though.

I'm really hoping I don't have to crawl down and pull the fuse to fix this. I hate to say it but I went from thinking that there couldn't be a more perfect vehicle for a technophile like myself to wondering if I made the right buying decision in less than 48 hours.

I tried the USB (Sirius) update/reboot trick and it resulted in a "Invalid or Unsigned File" error dialog which was followed by "This USB device is not supported. Please remove."

I tried a Master Reset next, that didn't seem to make any difference in the iPod being recognized. I didn't have time to power off and back on the system after the reset or re-pair my iPhone to check Bluetooth audio streaming though.

I'm really hoping I don't have to crawl down and pull the fuse to fix this. I hate to say it but I went from thinking that there couldn't be a more perfect vehicle for a technophile like myself to wondering if I made the right buying decision in less than 48 hours.

you can also pull the black battery terminal - easier to get to.

After the master reset and turning the vehicle off and back on again it seems to be back in action. My Sirius presets are still there but all the other settings and my phone paring are gone. Glad to hear that there is a non "pull the fuse" remedy (or at least this time.)

Glad to hear that there is a non "pull the fuse" remedy (or at least this time.)
The fuse is a pain to get to but the fact that you don't have to redo all of your settings makes it a better choice in my opinion.

I think not having an easy way to reset the system is one of the biggest design flaws of the system. You either have to have perfect software, or a way for the customer to get it working again quickly. Ford has neither.

That being said, there is an update coming out shortly that Ford is promising fixes these problems.

Back