Use same key in two Explorers?

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I know you could put the same lock/ignition cylinders in two Explorers so they use the same key. But I'm not familiar enough with the PATS system to know if you could make it work. Could you reprogram the PATS module in two different vehicles to accept the same key?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had keys cut with 2 different profiles on 1 key. Go to a real locksmith (not Homedepot, you'll confuse them) and have 1 side cut to match 1 key and the other side cut to match the 2nd key. That will save you from having to buy all new keyed alike locks.

Go home and program the new key into both vehicles PATS. The key wont care how many different vehicles its been programed into.

The keys dont accept anything... The PATS computer is programed to accept the key.

I am a locksmith and the guy I work for showed me a neat little trick that I did on my explorer, if you look at the head of your key you can see the part of the chip little rectangular outline. If you use a bench grinder you can slowly take the plastic down and take the chip out. Then you can secure the chip in the steering column on top of the ignition cylinder. Now I can make as many regular keys as I want and not worry about losing the chip key. But be very careful if anyone does decide to do this because if you mess up the chip its big bucks Haha.

Back