• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Used car prices

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
I don't see an end anytime soon to high car prices soon.... Anyone see otherwise?

Chip shortage
Foam shortage
Reduced new cars produced over last year
Buyers spending their stim money
People wanting to not take public transportation
Etc

Thought

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
New car prices are insane and there is seemingly no end to the insanity. 2nd hand vehicles will be very risky to own since the new vehicles have so many computers, and complete system integration, electric steering, electric power brakes, etc. The cost to repair out of warranty vehicles is just as insane as the new purchase price. What a scam.

The powers that be don't want us to work on our own stuff either. First HOAs, now this.

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
New car prices are insane and there is seemingly no end to the insanity. 2nd hand vehicles will be very risky to own since the new vehicles have so many computers, and complete system integration, electric steering, electric power brakes, etc. The cost to repair out of warranty vehicles is just as insane as the new purchase price. What a scam.

The powers that be don't want us to work on our own stuff either. First HOAs, now this.

Too bad. That's CA for you. Just allowed refrigerant to be sold here within past 10 years in WI.... couldn't previously.

Mike_J

Reaction score
City, State
Somewhere in the desert....
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport 5spd
My wife wants to move to CA, Sacramento believe it or not.....well, that ain't happening now. Part of how we have 2 perfectly functioning vehicles is because I do the majority of the work on them. The last thing I need is the Sack-O-Tomatoes "Tool Police" coming to my house giving me the umpteenth degree over a clutch replacement or replacing my Radius Arm bushings.

I agree on modern cars being ridiculously overpriced, and also hard to work on. I' have a 93' Explorer Sport and a 10' Corolla S - I changed the clutch on the X in 2-4 days in our apartment parking lot, but just to swap the transmssion fluid in the Corolla we have to take it to the dealership at a premium because " Toyota has a special piece of equipment that can refill the transmission properly". Really? Who idiot designer came up with a system that needs the vehicular equivalent of a enema to swap the transmission fluid? My X it's 2 bolts and 5 quarts of Valvoline Long LIfe Mercon and what's basically a giant soap dispenser pump.....but the Corolla needs some fancy machine? Sounds like the auto-markers are padding their pockets with this garbage (rolls eyes).

Jeeze...HOAs, if/when I get to the point that I can buy a house, that's the #1 thing on the list that I do not want. Too many horror stories, and I tend to butt heads with those types of people anyway.

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
My wife wants to move to CA, Sacramento believe it or not.....well, that ain't happening now. Part of how we have 2 perfectly functioning vehicles is because I do the majority of the work on them. The last thing I need is the Sack-O-Tomatoes "Tool Police" coming to my house giving me the umpteenth degree over a clutch replacement or replacing my Radius Arm bushings.

I agree on modern cars being ridiculously overpriced, and also hard to work on. I' have a 93' Explorer Sport and a 10' Corolla S - I changed the clutch on the X in 2-4 days in our apartment parking lot, but just to swap the transmssion fluid in the Corolla we have to take it to the dealership at a premium because " Toyota has a special piece of equipment that can refill the transmission properly". Really? Who idiot designer came up with a system that needs the vehicular equivalent of a enema to swap the transmission fluid? My X it's 2 bolts and 5 quarts of Valvoline Long LIfe Mercon and what's basically a giant soap dispenser pump.....but the Corolla needs some fancy machine? Sounds like the auto-markers are padding their pockets with this garbage (rolls eyes).

Jeeze...HOAs, if/when I get to the point that I can buy a house, that's the #1 thing on the list that I do not want. Too many horror stories, and I tend to butt heads with those types of people anyway.
Lived in a condo and had association..... ugh never again. Same thing as an Hoa.

Gary Crist

Reaction score
TEXAS a whole different country $1K Green AWD
City, State
TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 AWD V8
Callsign
KI6FG
They tried to do the "You can't work on cars in your garage" stuff in
Orange County CA back in the 80's to me too. Problem for "THEM" was,
3 of the cars in my drive way were Anaheim PD undercover cars. The one
I was working on was, well lets just say he was a brown shoe dude too
(probably a fed).
None of the neighbors ever complained and loved it. There were no more
daytime burglaries in our neighborhood!

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
IMO, buying a new vehicle is like burning thousands and thousands of dollars in a bonfire. The depreciation rates on them are massive. One had better have gap insurance if they put little money down. Otherwise they will be paying thousands to their lender to get out of their loan if the vehicle is totaled in the first 2-3 years of a 5-7 year loan. I stopped buying new vehicles in the early 1990s and this has saved me many tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, the cost of repair for most new vehicles when they are 10-15 years old will be more than they are worth due to their poor engineering regarding long term maintenance. These small turbocharged engines will be hella expensive to repair when the turbos break. Not to mention all the other complex components/systems the new vehicles come with.