• Register Today It's free!

Used Fed engine into Cali Body?

Roont

Reaction score
City, State
Hunterdon County, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Needing to replace engine into my ohv California emissions Explorer but the closest engines available are all Federal emissions, is this possible or should I keep searching for a California emissions engine?

I have a 99 X vin that failed leak down test as well as compression test that was given to me for free. Has been sitting here and now my younger cousin needs a vehicle and since the body and transmission on this explorer are in good shape (for a rust belt truck haha) I wanted to look into keeping this truck on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK about Cali emission vs Fed emission vehicles, but It would seem reasonable that the long-block of the OHV 4.0L would not differ between the two. There aren't any emission related parts in a long block that I've ever heard of. It's mainly just an air pump. So, if I'm correct as long as you transfer all the emissions related parts from the old engine to the replacement engine you would not be in violation of any emission rules. Besides, how would anyone be able to tell the long block had been swapped? Do they actually check engine serial numbers during emissions testing in Cali? Seems ridiculous to me, but we are talking about California after-all.

As long as you have all of the original smog equipment, your fine.

Needing to replace engine into my ohv California emissions Explorer but the closest engines available are all Federal emissions, is this possible or should I keep searching for a California emissions engine?

I have a 99 X vin that failed leak down test as well as compression test that was given to me for free. Has been sitting here and now my younger cousin needs a vehicle and since the body and transmission on this explorer are in good shape (for a rust belt truck haha) I wanted to look into keeping this truck on the road.
Jersey will hook it up to a computer see if all but one or two monitors are set. Yes? It gets a sticker. They aren't going to scrutinize a 20+yo engine. Jersey don't have NY and CA's emission laws anyway.

I have a California spec engine in my 99 Sport...The only difference I found was the injectors in the engine...I had 14 lb/hr injectors and swapped them for 19 lb/hr injectors and it ran rich as hell...Bought a new set of 14 lb/hr injectors and the engine ran like its old normal self... Even when I replaced the shortblock with a built up higher compression shortblock the stock injectors were fine..
I would just make certain if you use the normal ECU you have that you use the same injectors with any engine you install and you should be fine...

You'll be just fine. As long as you use the PCM that is calibrated for California, I don't see a problem. Also make sure all the California emissions equipment is there or they won't pass you on your next smog check.

Back