• Register Today It's free!

used VB

jonafer

Reaction score
City, State
kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hello, I bought a used valve body to put in a 5r55e trans for a explorer. I need to know the best way to clean it and prepair it to go in. I have so far a ford update kit and a EPC blow off. Next I am going to replace the EPC and TCC. What else do you guy's recomend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary above. I'd also add the newer Sonnax Bore plugs with O-rings.

I have installed the VB and when it gets hot the trans will not shift right. When it shifts out of 1 to 2nd then into a higher gear and will stay there untill I let off the gas then it shifts to 3rd and so on. But when it is cool it will shift fine. I used the ford plate with the bonded gasket and a new EPC and TCC. What will cause this and what should I look for. I will be opening the trans up again so please help.

Did you use a torque wrench? Sometimes the gasket will contract, and expand at certain temperatures, and lose hydraulic pressure if there are spots with uneven torque on the bolts. Sticky spools in the bores might also cause this kind of problem. A valve body rebuild might be the best way to go to avoid future problems.

What about the sonnax boost valve? When I put the new one in does it matter witch way the holes are? Up or sideway's? I am going to check the torque on them again. What can I do about sticking spools in the bores?

Back