USEFUL: 4dr & 2dr cargo area measurements (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

USEFUL: 4dr & 2dr cargo area measurements (pics)

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Well needing to design a new box, and my ex being over a mile away 5 days out of the week, I wanted to be able to design it while in my dorm room. I adapted something Spas had made when she was creating her box. Some of the measurements are the same, I added a few that I thought were useful. All measurements should be +- .5" or so. I hope this helps some people, I know it will help me. AS ALWAYS - use these measurements at your own risk.

EDIT: The 4dr measurements are now very accurate. I redid them all, and stopped using spas's diagram because I thought that having an actual photo would be more useful to people.

Spas's 2dr:
10058cargo_measurements.jpg

my 4dr measurements:
10058Cargo_measurements_REAL.jpg

If you're having trouble looking at them... save them, open them in MS Paint, then goto Image -> view -> Zoom -> Custom and select 200%.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, really wish I had these when I did mine... although on my next project soon, this will become very useful. Thanks a bunch!

=)

Also, look for updates over the next couple weeks... that is when I'll have a cardboard mockup of my box and I'll get very precise measurements then.

That's awesome, man!! Good job!! I'll definitely look into this if I ever gonna be building a box...which I don't think I will for a long long time.

cardboard mock-up?

It occrus to me that the strap hook measurements might be off... Like I said, these were taking rather hastily. Next weekend I'll make precise measurements.

Originally posted by expo5.0
cardboard mock-up?

I'm making a cardboard/posterboard model of the box, not the cargo area =P I'll have limited time w/ tools in which to cut the wood or mdf so I need to have it all marked out and ready to go. Only annoying part will be compensating for the thickness of the wood.

HUH?

Are you saying 2dr and 4dr cargo covers are same? both 18"s?:confused:

Originally posted by Stic-o
Are you saying 2dr and 4dr cargo covers are same? both 18"s?:confused:
oohhhhh - I never knew what that measurement ment...

It would probably be somewhere around 35" or so. (41" - 4.5" (from back seat to cover) and the hooks at the back arn't flush w/ the hatch so...

Like I said, I'll get more measurements this weekend. But thanks alot for pointing that out.

edit: actually I think that is the measurements from the cover to the end of the wheel well? Or is that where it hooks up on the sports too? However it definetly is wrong for the 4dr.

To advise, you might want to consider measuring the length of the wheel wells, they are different. Most people like myself did not realize this till after I cut MDF for my amp rack. (That was like 2 yrs ago now), however figured I would notify all, that they are different. Atleast for sure in my 4Dr.

way to come out of hiding marvin- everyone here has seen countless pics of your install work yet you've never posted etc. etc.

this guy is the man!

if you look closely, the wheel well length is on there for the 4dr =P

I didnt mean the measurement wasnt there. I was saying that the length for each side (left and right) is different. :-D Maybe something that you didnt notice.

oh is it? I'll have to take a look into that...

updated the 4dr measurements... one of them I forgot to get, I'll update that next week. The old ones weren't off by too much, but I think that w/ the picture, it is better visualization then the diagram.

can you get measurments as detailed as the 4 dr measurments for the 2dr?????

anyone on here made like a wooden cargo cover? fits in the spots for the roll up cargo cover but made of wood, kinda like a raised floor. if so can i see pics/dimensions

thanks for demensions. saved a drive back to the truck to messure this all out for 2 13.5JLs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back