Using 2nd Gen Power Roof, In 1st Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using 2nd Gen Power Roof, In 1st Gen

Mud_Luv

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I was just wondering how much work is involved in putting a power moon roof out of a 95' Limited into a 93' Eddie. My Eddie has the manual roof. I'm planning on swapping headliner, overhead console, obviously the moon roof it's self with motor, tracking and seal ect... I'm prepared to do the custom wiring involved. How close are the moon roof openings in size, and location for this swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The roof design is actually different compared to your first gen. It will not just slip in and bolt up...you would have to actually cut out a good chunk of the roof and weld in the roof of the donor limited, get it squared up, and then installed. Not saying it can't be done, its just more work then dropping the power unit in.

I would see about getting everything else from the limited if you have access to it like seats, console, trim pieces, running boards, rear bumper, ect first, as all those are easy bolt in.

Thanks for the info. Does the same amount of work apply if I use a Gen1 (94') Limited power roof? Or would it be a slightly easier task? I kind of broke one of the latches that secure my manual to the frame at the front of the moonroof and just trying to see how much work I want to put into it.

As for the rest of the interior I do plan on taking the console (upper and lower). I'm sure the wiring will keep me busy.

There was no Power Roof in the 1st Gen.

I added a 1st Gen Factory Sunroof to my `92. But I also have a `97 Power Sunroof, and Roof section that I want to add to a 1st Gen at some point. The problem, is the roof section would have to be grafted into the 1st gen....it is A LOT of work.

Ryan

Might be less work to motorize a 1st gen sunroof, possibly using parts from later models.

All you'd really need is a mechanism to turn the open/close of the manual knob, similar to the wire/belt drive add-ons they use to turn manual windows into power windows.

Probably still a hassle in terms of making it all work and wiring it all up, but it might be less work than removing and grafting on an entire roof. At least it'd save on a paint job.

You can just buy a sunroof unit, cut your hole to fit and install it. They come with templates and wonderful instructions. They aren't THAT expensive either and you can get them to fit your roof profile. You also cut a hole in the headliner, and the trim around the window covers your cuts. You can also ask at some of your local dealers who they use for installing sunroofs, since many dealers will option sunroofs even on vehicles that don't have them available, or at least they used to.

To motorize a 1st gen sunroof, look into the mechanisms for opening the rear side windows on many minivans, like a windstar. They angle open, so you could, in essence, swap the hardware over as long as you could work out mounting.

Back