Wanted - Using Air shocks to get a lift???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Using Air shocks to get a lift????

Parts or services wanted

HalRaySynthetics

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD XLT
I was just thinking. I really want at least a 2" lift on my 1997 xlt awd and since it seems like a somewhat difficult task because of lack of kits and so on. Torsion twist seem to add too much preload and can break your torsion bars or at least that is what I have been told.

I was wondering about using air shocks to get the 2" lift I want. Finding the rear shocks are not a problem but finding the correct ones for the front is my problem. I want the old school type that you air up yourself with the air inlet valve used with your tires. I know it would be a rough ride but it would give you the lift I want.

I would really appreciatte any info from anyone who may have tried this already or just any opinions at all. I just want a cheap easy lift.

Thanks, Darren

www.halraysynthetics.com

The air shocks will increase the cv angle also, so a torsion twist is still the best bet.
The stock shock towers are not designed to support weight, which they would be doing if the shocks raise the vehicle.

So, this is not such a good idea.

Back