Using an SCT SF3 tuner on two Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using an SCT SF3 tuner on two Explorers

96explorerxlt2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have been looking into getting a tuner for my Explorers as I would eventually like to install engine mods. After some research, I have decided on an SCT SF3 3015. I was going to order one however the seller told me that in order to go from one vehicle to another, I would have to take the one back to stock in order to tune the other one. Either that or buy two tuners. Is this the case or a way for them to make more money?

If this is the way these tuners work, then would there be a way to fool the tuner into thinking that it has returned the vehicle to stock via a third PCM? Is there any way to keep both vehicles tuned without buying two tuners? Any ideas/advice is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(Page 6 1.3) X3/SF3 Power Flash VIN locks to a single vehicle. You cannot use the device to tune a new or different vehicle, until you have returned the original vehicle back to stock, which will unlock the device. You can only change vehicles 5 times before the unit is permanently locked
http://www.sctflash.com/PDF/X3_SF3_User_Manual_01.pdf

In regards to "fooling" the 3015 with a third PCM, have never heard of it being done, on any forum.
Great idea, though I'm sure SCT engineers are very much aware of it. GL

no ALL tuners are like that, they spend a lot of time and research to crack the programming code for all these vehicles. Why would they let you be able to use it one 2, 3 ,4, 5 or 25 different cars, what would stop someone from "renting" it out on craigslist or in their car club if you could use it on multiple vehicles. That would be beyond foolish and they wouldnt be around very long as a company.

no ALL tuners are like that, they spend a lot of time and research to crack the programming code for all these vehicles. Why would they let you be able to use it one 2, 3 ,4, 5 or 25 different cars, what would stop someone from "renting" it out on craigslist or in their car club if you could use it on multiple vehicles. That would be beyond foolish and they wouldnt be around very long as a company.

Why on 2, 3, 4, or 5? Because it says that it is allowed to be used on up to 5 vehicles. I would think that they would allow up to 5 vehicles at once and in order to go to more, those 5 vehicles would have to be returned to stock. It's not like many people don't have more than one car.

For the third computer, what I was thinking is to have it programmed to the VIN of one of the vehicles so that I can possibly make it think that the vehicle was set back to stock. If I cannot find a way to program the VIN myself then I'm sure it probably isn't worth doing. Not sure if that would work, but if I can do it for cheap, then it's worth a shot.

No you cannot fool the SCT with a 3rd PCM. Your choices are one vehicle tuned at a time, switching vehicles up to 5 different times. Aside from that you will need 2 devices if you want them both tuned at the same time. No other way around it.

Why on 2, 3, 4, or 5? Because it says that it is allowed to be used on up to 5 vehicles. I would think that they would allow up to 5 vehicles at once and in order to go to more, those 5 vehicles would have to be returned to stock. It's not like many people don't have more than one car.

For the third computer, what I was thinking is to have it programmed to the VIN of one of the vehicles so that I can possibly make it think that the vehicle was set back to stock. If I cannot find a way to program the VIN myself then I'm sure it probably isn't worth doing. Not sure if that would work, but if I can do it for cheap, then it's worth a shot.

They don't allow up to 5 vehicles at once as post #2 states and for the reasons post #3 mentions. You want to tune more than one vehicle at a time? Then you are going to have to buy a device for each vehicle.

5 vehicle limit

I have an SCT X3 Powerflash for my Sport and am considering purchasing a 4 door Explorer. I think you can datalog any number of vehicles indepenent of the VIN/PCM identifier. However, to actually program the PCM with a tune you have to first read the stock tune into the X3. That locks the X3 to that PCM. To program another PCM you have to unlock the X3 which means restoring the PCM to the stock tune. When you load the X3 with the stock tune from the second vehicle then that increments a stored counter in the X3. It has a limit of 5 even if there are only 2 different vehicles involved. To program a 6th change requires sending the X3 to an SCT dealer to clear the counter for about $150.

In my case I would never restore my stock tune so my X3 is essentially permanently locked to my Sport. I can still use it to datalog another Ford with no problems but if I want to load a custom tune I'll purchase another X3. In my opinion another one is worth the cost (includes a custom tune) just because of the transmission shift improvements.

You can often find used ones on ebay for around $250 unmarried (no longer tied to a specific vehicle) with several unlocks remaining. As an example here's a link to one that's unmarried with 5 remaining unlocks but no tune for $265:SCT-X3-3000-tuner A custom tune runs about $150 from Henson Performance. That's a total cost of $415. You might be able to get a new X3 and tune from Henson for less.

Just my opinion, but you're asking people how to steal. :nono:

I have one with all 5 unlocks left. I got it for my wife's explorer. Then a guy ran a red light and totaled it. She went with a different vehicle with the insurance money.

I have one with all 5 unlocks left. I got it for my wife's explorer. Then a guy ran a red light and totaled it. She went with a different vehicle with the insurance money. If you want to make an offer send me a PM and we can work something out.
Hope you returned the wrecked vehicle back to stock, otherwise it'll cost you $150 to unlock.

Hope you returned the wrecked vehicle back to stock, otherwise it'll cost you $150 to unlock.

That is not true. If a vehicle is totaled while a device is married to it, if you can provide proof (insurance docs usually) then SCT will waive the unlock fee. They do check to see what VIN the device is locked to and see if the paper work adds up.

That is not true. If a vehicle is totaled while a device is married to it, if you can provide proof (insurance docs usually) then SCT will waive the unlock fee. They do check to see what VIN the device is locked to and see if the paper work adds up.

That's good to know because most people like myself would have just sold the tuner at a reduced price because I didn't know about that. I learned something today, thanks :thumbsup:

Thanks. Ditto, very good to know, I've never heard that before. Hopefully won't
be in this predicament and need to provide SCT with totaled insurance info. ;)

Not a problem! I hope no one has to do that either, but its always an option.

Back