Using green wire mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using green wire mod

sparrowhawwk

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer XL 5spd
A friend and I decided to take the Explorer and check out a gravel road for a possible motorcycle event last weekend. Having done the green wire mod I was interested to see what it would allow me to do. Actually the "road" if it can be called that slowly became narrower and steeper until the thought of turning around was not going to happen. Along the way we met four ATV's coming down and we talked to the first one in line. He said he thought we could make it over the top and out the other side but that the road got steeper and tighter near the top. We had already crossed over a couple of small wash outs when I realized I had been using 4x4 Low in two wheel drive. I can't tell you how impressed I am with the traction we had . Our average speed for seven miles was just under 4mph. Eventually the switched engagement to the front axle became very handy as I could just flip the switch on the go for tight switchbacks and rough spots. Some of the switchbacks were loose shale requiring two or three times backing up a couple feet to work our way around. This was accomplished with not so great street tires so I can't begin to imagine where it would go with a few mods and better tires. Bottomed out the hitch a couple times but only really had one almost stuck hit navigating a hundred foot wash out on the way down. Could use a couple more inches of clearance. Wish I had taken the camera as the view at 7398 ft was spectacular. Another thing I learned was that while the 5 spd is better on fuel and also I believe descending hills and saving the brakes, I think I would prefer an automatic for navigating the tough spots. Now I have to find out where the grinding noise is coming from in the front while using four wheel drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking he meant Brown wire mod.

images

Back