Using Heat to restore Plastic and Vinyl Trim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using Heat to restore Plastic and Vinyl Trim

This is something that a saw a year or so ago originally suggested in a post by ncranchero, but also has been around the internet for a long time, VERY popular among the Jeep guys, so no credit should go to me.

I thought this to be a very interesting and alternate method apposed to painting, which will fail and crack over time, to restoring the 1st through 3rd Gen plastics. I used a heat gun at first, but did not like how long I had to hold it on the plastic, nor did I like the pattern it was laying down on the fender. It might be due to the quality heat gun I was using (not very high). I switched to a propane torch and really liked the results! I thought I'd post up my findings to the Forum to help anyone trying to fix up their truck. I plan on doing it to my front and rear bumpers tomorrow, I'll post that video as well as some before and after pictures.

All you have to do is simply CLEAN the surface with acetone, lightly sand if needed making sure no road grime is sticking to your plastics. Then heat it until it returns to the color it originally was. Sometimes you will make the mistake of not heating it too long and it won't fully return to its original, in that case just apply more heat. DO NOT over heat as it could begin to deform / melt the plastic!!

EDIT- As Flounder states below; Take your plastic off, don't torch/heat your paint! Especially the dipped chrome on the rear of the 1st/2nd Gen Quarter panels!!

This is my uncle's '05 TJ I'm working on; sprucing it up a bit as a present from the family for him when he returns from his final deployment this year. (He is actually retired 101st Airborne but is now working as a contractor for the Army)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is really neat! I always just use armor-all and a Brillo pad but I think I'm going to have to give this a whirl next time I need to restore plastics. Any idea on the longevity of the finish after doing this?

~Rev

I'm hearing in excess of 2-3 years.. which is how long it normally takes (depending on how it is taken care of / treated / weathered) the plastic to fade anyways from the factory. Theoretically all your doing is melting off the tippy top layer down to the newer, unfaded stuff. But don't get frightened by that, the heat didn't even do anything to the ripply texture of the plastic. (if you know what I'm talking about)

I may have done it too lightly as there are a couple spots I need to touch up.. but it actually works quite well :thumbsup:

The only thing I would say never do is hit your paint with the flame. It takes so very little heat, whether from a torch or a heat gun, to damage clear coat. Unscrew the plastic, go nuts, and then reattach.

The only thing I would say never do is hit your paint with the flame. It takes so very little heat, whether from a torch or a heat gun, to damage clear coat. Unscrew the plastic, go nuts, and then reattach.

Highly agree. I was too lazy to do this.

I'm going to add that in..

Will a 900-1100 degree heat gun work?

Will a 900-1100 degree heat gun work?

Ohhhhhhhh yes! Mine is a 600 degree gun and I still don't run it on "10". Start low and increase the heat to the minimum needed. Man, you'd have to be super careful with a torch, as concentrated as the tip/flame is.
My heat gun has a wide tip, which works great, but I still have to be careful.

Heatgun.jpg

Nice video Brandon. I'd never seen it done anywhere and discovered the procedure quite by accident while straightening some interior parts damaged in an accident. It works great but most people/places I post it at seem to just dismiss it for some reason. Their loss.......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My heat gun had zero effect.
This may not work on really old stuff. My X has 20 years of wear.
Unless my heat gun isn't powerful enough. It is a cheapo from lowes. Not much air speed.

Hey Guys. Thanks for the AWESOME tip. I purchased a heat gun the other day and got to work on restoring my plastic trim on my 2002 explorer. this truck is NOTORIOUS for the trim getting ugly and faded over time. It seemed like the more "armor all" type products I used, the worse it would get in the long run.
Here are some tips I learned from doing it myself:

:usa: Use a quality heat gun: I purchased a 60 dollar one from Home Depot and it barely did the job. I assume the blowtorch would work better but I wasn't playin around with that.
:usa: The whole job takes about 6-8 hours on my 2002 XLT
:usa: Make sure trim is ultra clean. You would be surprised how much dirt and grime that plastic trim holds. Use acetone as a final wipe before treatment.
:usa: Don't stay on one section for too long, you WILL discolor the plastic.
:usa: Make sure you have plenty of light, the shadows will play tricks on your eyes during this treatment.
:usa: This treatment works great on the plastic step boards and trunk step too.

:thumbsup:Thanks to you guys, I probably added some significant value to my ride. Here is a before and after snippet:

andyheatgun.JPG

A retailer showed this to me a year ago, but I don't have any faded plastics...

Back