Using Lots of gas

Fordsgalore4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Habra California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EX, 86 Ranger
my 94 EX has 150,000 miles and its using lots of gas maybe 9 to 6 mpg and the exhaust smells rich (gassy). The parts so far that have been replaced both O2s, fuel filter, coil pack, plugs, wires is there anything Im missing im going to be due for smog check here in California and i on it will not pass any help will be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean the MAF sensor, check the intake tube for cracks/holes or other leaks, check the vacuum tree on the rear of the upper intake manifold on the drivers' side for leaks or cracked/split plastic vacuum hoses.

You should also probaby just remove the upper intake and replace the intake gaskets and remove the fuel injectors to replace the fuel injector o-rings, and probably the fuel pressure regulator as well. My guess would be the FPR causing the excess, but it could be a lot of the other things all causing a rich condition.

Clean the MAF sensor, check the intake tube for cracks/holes or other leaks, check the vacuum tree on the rear of the upper intake manifold on the drivers' side for leaks or cracked/split plastic vacuum hoses.

You should also probaby just remove the upper intake and replace the intake gaskets and remove the fuel injectors to replace the fuel injector o-rings, and probably the fuel pressure regulator as well. My guess would be the FPR causing the excess, but it could be a lot of the other things all causing a rich condition.

I drive my truck daily with no problems except for the horrible fuel mileage would those fixes make it run bad or ruff i need to try and keep it low cost thank you

All those fixes are things that would make it so the control systems are either delivering too much fuel, or the excess air would cause more fuel to be used.

Almost all those fixes are VERY low cost if you have the tools and do the work yourself. The intake gaskets and injector o-rings are just a $10-25 expense, or you can buy them cheaper online. The FPR is expensive, but you can also get less expensive versions for ~$40-50 online.

Keep in mind you're losing money with the horrible mileage. You will save thousands of dollars in gas by spending the money now to fix it and restore normal operation.

All those fixes are things that would make it so the control systems are either delivering too much fuel, or the excess air would cause more fuel to be used.

Almost all those fixes are VERY low cost if you have the tools and do the work yourself. The intake gaskets and injector o-rings are just a $10-25 expense, or you can buy them cheaper online. The FPR is expensive, but you can also get less expensive versions for ~$40-50 online.

Keep in mind you're losing money with the horrible mileage. You will save thousands of dollars in gas by spending the money now to fix it and restore normal operation.

ok thank you i'm going to start ordering the parts and ill update

Check your o2 sensor as well as your plugs and wires. I have found that the o2 sensor tends to make the biggest difference in mileage after the MAF sensor. Also, check codes, you may have errors that don't trip the Check Engine Light.

We have a relatively simple engine control system to deal with and each sensor has a job to do. Basics like looking for leaks and obvious worn or broken components goes a long way to diagnosing your issue. I hate throwing money on a rig chasing gremlins when some time and elbow grease cleaning the engine bay, then going over electrical connections, hoses and sensors can often reclaim lost power and efficiency.

Here's a link to a thread on fuel pressure testing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142801

Pay particular attention to MrShorty's comments further down in the thread.

The best part is that the test is free. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, Autozone or O'reilly's will "rent" one to you, then give you a full refund when you return it. It's part of their "loan-a-tool" service.

injectors size

I looked at my injectors and they are red is this the right ones that should be in it. I thought they were orange 19# and red was used in mustangs 30#

Do they have a Ford logo on them or a part #?

Plenty of aftermarket injectors are different colors than the factory parts.

They might also just have changed color from the engine heat and age and look like faded red instead of a dark orange.

no there still in the explorer but the intake has been off before. The current injectors are red body Type 2s

Back