Using two jackstands and one factory jack for tire rotation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using two jackstands and one factory jack for tire rotation?

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I would ask fellows about this. Can I use two jackstands and the factory jack which comes with the truck for tire rotation? Is it safe to do so? Here is what I think.

I jackup the truck at the front and use two jackstands to secure the truck. I then take two front tires off.

Use the factory jack to jack up one side of the rear and change the tire. Then jack up another side of the rear and change the tire.

Finally I take the two rear tires to the front and install them.

Is it safe to jackup the rear using the factory jack when the front sits on two jack stands?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typically radials are rotated front to back but leaving on the same side. Used to be a problem with changing the direction of rotation. (IDK) I usually jack up the rear on one side, put it on a stand and then jack up the front on the same side and swap tires. Reverse the process and repeat on the other side. I just use the factory jack.

EE

Some say cross rotate but you should only switch front to back on the same side.

One floor jack, one factory jack. Rotate front to rear.
If you don't have a floor jack, use the jack stand.
You don't need to change the tire's rotation direction.

If your going cross method (fronts to back, and cross rears as you bring them forward) you can do it safely with just the 2 jack stands.

Pick up the left side, swap the tires front to rear
Pick up the right side, swap the tires front to rear
Pick up the front, and swap the tires side to side.

That would be the safest way to do it. I know your moving 2 tires twice, but its a small price to pay for safety.

~Mark

I thouht that the correct way is to move rear tire to front on the same side and to move front tire to rear across the side. Am I wrong?

I think you just described cross method I was talking about above.

There really is no "right" way to do it. Some do it front to rear only, some do the rear to front and cross the fronts as they come to the rear etc.

What really matters is getting the tires off the front and onto the rear to help even out the wear.

~Mark

Thanks all for the help.

I go counterclockwise, I take the front right off, put spare on, take rear right off and put right front there and so on until I take spare off....

BTW Not saying that my method is correct, just saying what I do, if it is not the way to do it feel free to chime in :p:

Back