Utility trailer built from B2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Utility trailer built from B2

I've got this wild idea on making a small utility trailer for my chopped top Bronco2. Since there's hardly no room in the bed due to my 33" spare tire mounted back there on the cage. I'm giving it some thought on making one out of another matching Bronco 2 :confused: Maybe like cutting it in half at the pillar behind the door. Enclosing it off. Them skinning over all side glass and rear hatch glass with metal. Leave the rear hatch operable. And also rear axel. Then extending frame to a point with hitch. I have not even looked at another B2 to see if it is even feasible.
I know you guys have seen some old hot rods with matching trailer towed behind.
I know it would not hold much, but should be great for camping gear, hunting and fishing and even hauling home the venison. Could even put same matching stars and stripes paint job on it like the B2. Small roof cage even.
Has any one ever seen this done to a B2?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen it done on a BII but I would think a small Ranger bed would be much easier. for offroad I would use a pintle hitch, what would look really trick is if you could make it look like an extension of the truck. Also matching wheels/tires are the trick so your spare matches up.

I haven't seen it done on a BII but I would think a small Ranger bed would be much easier. for offroad I would use a pintle hitch, what would look really trick is if you could make it look like an extension of the truck. Also matching wheels/tires are the trick so your spare matches up.

Yes it would be easier, but I want it to be an enclosed trailer with the B2 hatch back and same body lines where the side glass is. This would also be keeping in the theme of matching trailer/truck model.
I like the idea of matching wheels/tires. Trailer on 33s mounted on black American 12" This would also make it the same ride heigth. Could even add a 3" body lift to match my truck lol. Even add an 8.8 axel or pick-up one that allready had one installed. Then I could use it for a spare if the one in my truck snapped an axel. Hmmm, sounding bette all the time. Also keep the overhead light so when I open the hatch back at night it comes on.

If anyone could pull this off, it's you! Do it!

I think this would be awesome, what if you took a second back half off a BII and made it have hatches at both ends? Would make life a lot easier for loading / unloading (not to mention the endless bunch of people looking at it :confused: )

Just cut the body and then take the front frame rails and cut / torch / bend them so they come together as a triangle and then add a cross bar and a piece of square tubing to attach the coupler to. With one of the larger round trailer plugs (i forget the right name) you can hook up the interior lights to work and everything.

Also, what if you left the gas tank/pump installed... you could have your own extra fuel supply with no lugging around heavy cans... just have some kind of hose and a momentary switch so you can fill up cars and your lawnmower etc. (and maybe a ground wire so you don't go kaplooie.)

I think this would be awesome, what if you took a second back half off a BII and made it have hatches at both ends? Would make life a lot easier for loading / unloading (not to mention the endless bunch of people looking at it :confused: )

Just cut the body and then take the front frame rails and cut / torch / bend them so they come together as a triangle and then add a cross bar and a piece of square tubing to attach the coupler to. With one of the larger round trailer plugs (i forget the right name) you can hook up the interior lights to work and everything.

Also, what if you left the gas tank/pump installed... you could have your own extra fuel supply with no lugging around heavy cans... just have some kind of hose and a momentary switch so you can fill up cars and your lawnmower etc. (and maybe a ground wire so you don't go kaplooie.)

I've got to do this as cheap as possible. I would have to get another B2 for the front door. Price of scrap metal is so hight that even a totaled B2 is around $250 Ouch! I'm going to a scrap yard today that has some B2s. He said he would sell me one just for the scrap price. And that is a favor to me because he said it's in good condition, just needs motor and he generally asks more then that.
But yes I was going to keep the tank with a switch for an auxiliary tank. If I have room I was going to put the auxiliary gas hose inside the filler door. Open door and pull out about 10' or least long enough to go to filler door on the pulling truck. And the interior lights or even add some brighter lights so when I open the rear hatch the light would come on. I even mentioned this on another site.
Were both in the same ballgame on this one :salute:

If you put the gas hose in the filler door, how will you fill the tank?

Don't forget you're gonna need one of those crank down wheels too, harbor freight has them pretty cheap...

Scrap prices are rediculous, I am scared to even garbage pick anything anymore because they are ticketing people for taking stuff that's out on the curb. A lot of people are just taking everything in sight and making $ off of it...

You shouldn't really need a whole bII for the 2nd hatch, maybe the junkyard could just torch off the last 1ft or so of the back of one? Cause if you don't get another hatch where are you gonna get the metal to cover the back up?

You might want to weld some cross bracing inside temporarily while cutting so it doesn't end up lopsided, there's not much steel in the back with those big windows, it might get all floppy when it's cut off.

sweet

Make it as light as possible and on 31-33's :) great idea
With two hatches and tinted windows it could also serve as a pop up trailer or picnic shade :)

I have always enjoyed the idea of matching trailers.
Here is one made for old split windshield VW buses.

91318.jpg

Drooling on keyboard. That thing is sweet. Now I know that I'm not going to sheet metal over the side or back glass. Thanks for posting.

I just creamed my jeans.

Are you telling me there is a site devoted to these type trailer?

IMG_0103.jpg

OK, I think this is the one that I'm going with. I like the fact that it has one of those rear hatches that also has the lift glass. I do not need engine or tranny. He said $250 and he will pull engine and tranny, put on tires and rims and tow to my house. So far this is the best deal that I can find.

The metal is in excellent shape. Even the body mounts look good.
A small fiberglass patch can fix some small cosmetics on the hatch back.

Plus all kinds of B2 parts that I can salvage off it, like front fenders and more that I'm sure I'll need later at some point in time for the Chopped top B2.

OK, it seems the general consensus is that I would be STUPID if I passed this up :thumbsup: Just hope that it's still there.

Could have sworn I just saw a roof cage on that thing along with 33s :eek: Must have been my morning coffee.

And of course I really do need a winter time project from keeping me going skidzo:D Well, that's what I told my wife :D

I don't think that it would be all that much $$$ to get done. Again that's what I told my wife :D

Guess I'll go out and start getting some more Cut-Off wheels :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well guys, it's now more then just a thought. After a couple cups of coffee I thought it would be in MY best interest to go and buy this thing. I went to the salvage yard and gave them half down. The rest when they pull engine and tranny out and deliver to my garage. All this for $250

The sheet metal is absolutely outstanding for an 84 B2. Even the body mounts including the surrounding sheet metal looks great. The cool thing also is that it's the exact same year as my Chopped top B2.

Now I got a winter time project which should not cost an arm and a leg to complete Plus all kinds of B2 parts including front fenders, doors, hood and other things that I might need after some serious trail ride encounters :eek:

Scrap stuff like front axel and all sheet metal that I cut off, I'll sell for scrap since it's so high now.

Back