V-10 3/4 ton truck transmission help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V-10 3/4 ton truck transmission help needed

elkhunter

Reaction score
City, State
Big Horn, Wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I realize this is not a truck site but I am in desperate need of some transmission advice! My daughter left on a 300 mile trip that doesn't have any major hills and she was towing a 20 foot camp trailer. The check engine light came on but would go off some of the time. She finally got there and unhooked the trailer to store and headed home. She is telling me that the transmission shifts very hard into second gear and the rest are normal. She turned the overdrive off for the trip. The speedometer doesn't start working until she gets up around 30 mph. The transmission is full and she didn't say anything about it smelling burned. All I really know about the truck is that it has the V-10, automatic transmission, four wheel drive, and that it is definitely a crew cab. I was guessing in the title but it very well could be a 1 ton. The owner is in Iraq and I would definitely like to get it fixed before he gets back as I know he has enough to worry about right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much to go on. If it's a Ford it more than likely has a 4r100 transsmission which isn't known for it's strength and durability in stock form. You need to get your daughter to a reputable transmission shop.

WELL HAVE THE TRANS SERVICED all fluid and filter . failing to drain torque converter will be a big mistake and not to mention a waste of time. ask whoever is doing work to retain old parts so you can look at them to see if metal, friction ,and other helpfull debris might be inside filter and will assist you in your conclusion on the general condition of trans.....

Thank you both for the responses. I don't know what type of transmission is in it. Would you happen to know if there is a site that lists recalls? She called around for prices to change the oil and filter, not including the converter, and they were all around $100. This is in Denver! Could the problem get any worse if she drove it 300 miles back and I will change them myself? Today she told me it shifts hard from first to second but is fine after that. She said she has been starting out in second and that 'hard shift' doesn't happen. Hopefully these clues help.

First thing I would do is find out why the spedo suddenly doesn't work properly. The shift problems could be caused by a bad speed sensor, which would explain the weird spedo/shifting problem occuring now. Before spending a bunch of money on things that might not be the problem. First find out what code was coming up, my explorer will throw a code when I tow and the elevation changes, which causes the computer to "think" there is a "too lean" or "too rich" condition, happens every time, and goes away as soon as the system adjusts to the elevation changes, it's also due to the O2 sensors taking a beating from the hotter exhaust from the added throttle to keep the truck moving at a constant speed with the extra weight of a trailer...

Your vehicle speed sensor is probubly out, thus explaing the hard 1-2 shift and the erratic speedo.

I wish I had the 4r100 manuals.... I do not. But have the CD'sfor the 2002's.... including expeditions and that may include SOMETHING, let me check. But so far I am with V8... that is an electronically controlled trannie....garbage in garbage out, That speed sensor is an input.

Well the CD has a lot. I really hadn;t looked at it. What year and model is it? I have the truck manual thru 2002. I have daughters and I feel your angst. Frankly... I'd have her check the fluid for color and smell and probably suggest she drive it home....but with these CD manuals (the later ones) they also have symptom charts. So ask away. I'm willing to help as I can, even talk to her.

ps. After reading up a little.... I am pretty sure it is sensor related and NOT trans related. I'd relax a bit and have her come home. It's a pretty easy shot up from Denver to home. <g>

Thanks to all! She got the codes checked and, as you also said, the speed sensor is not working! Will it hurt to drive 300 miles back and how hard is it to change? My Haynes shows it on the transfer case tail shaft which makes me think you unplug it, screw it out, new back in, hook up wire, and it is fixed.

Should be ok to drive it... I'd just get on the freeway and head north though and do it all in one shot. Less shifting the better. Sensors vary, but usually they have an O-ring and a retainer of some sort, otherwise what you suggested it correct.

Thanks again for the help. The computer was down so I am late responding. The truck is here now so I will let you know what I find.

Back