• Register Today It's free!

V-8 swap for my 94 first gen

cpocraig

Reaction score
City, State
Flint
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
I'm sure that this question has been asked 100 times but........What trans and transfer case is needed for a V-8 swap? Also what is needed for the computer swap and is it possible to use the same wiring harness that is already with the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not as easy finding a good swap thread here as I thought... Here is a thread which has lost the photos from the first couple pages. Photos start again on page 3. It does provide some good info though.

also vroomzoomboom had a good theead sticky in the 2g mod section

you need the 4r70w and either the 4404 awd or 4406 4wd tcase (i much much prefer the 4406)
youll need all the v8 computers. most of the wiring you can sue but youll have to make jumper harness cause theyre linned differently so they wont match up. see the sticky for more info. not to mwntion you have a 1g so lots of wiring changed for 2g to make the swap easier

I have a swap thead, it is into a 1988 Bronco II
But the BII is very similar to your 94
and my 88 was already converted to a 93 4.0 drivetrain before I went v8 in 2005

You will want the drivetrain from a 96-01 explorer with the 302/4r70w automatic

No you cannot keep your existing under hood wiring, your 94 is OBD1 computer, the 302's are OBD2, many changes to the wiring is needed.
Basically you would be building a wiring harness

It's not as easy finding a good swap thread here as I thought... Here is a thread which has lost the photos from the first couple pages. Photos start again on page 3. It does provide some good info though.

thanx for the link.

I have a swap thead, it is into a 1988 Bronco II
But the BII is very similar to your 94
and my 88 was already converted to a 93 4.0 drivetrain before I went v8 in 2005

You will want the drivetrain from a 96-01 explorer with the 302/4r70w automatic

No you cannot keep your existing under hood wiring, your 94 is OBD1 computer, the 302's are OBD2, many changes to the wiring is needed.
Basically you would be building a wiring harness

Thanx for the link. Now the serekh begins

basically
to fit 5.0 under your hood you need:

dual sump oil pan
re locate the oil filter
Custom engine mounts or aftermarket (L&L products, convertible mustang mounts flipped side to side, there are many ways here)
Exhaust manifolds/headers
Notch the heater box lid

Body lift helps clear the large transmission, otherwise you can do like me and take a big hammer to the firewall/floor pan body seam

Custom transmission mount/crossmember to pickup the large 4r70w (same size and shape as AODe)

then it is all plumbing, drivelines, exhaust and some crazy and creative wiring..............

my 1988 Bronco II believes 110% it is a 97.5 mercury mountaineer...... when I say 110% I mean my truck is emissions legal even in California, every emissions sensor and component is still existing in my truck, even the fuel tank pressure sensor........

Did the conversion in 05/06 and been daily driving here ever since :)

also vroomzoomboom had a good theead sticky in the 2g mod section

you need the 4r70w and either the 4404 awd or 4406 4wd tcase (i much much prefer the 4406)
youll need all the v8 computers. most of the wiring you can sue but youll have to make jumper harness cause theyre linned differently so they wont match up. see the sticky for more info. not to mwntion you have a 1g so lots of wiring changed for 2g to make the swap easier
That's the info that I needed. Thanx so much.
basically
to fit 5.0 under your hood you need:

dual sump oil pan
re locate the oil filter
Custom engine mounts or aftermarket (L&L products, convertible mustang mounts flipped side to side, there are many ways here)
Exhaust manifolds/headers
Notch the heater box lid

Body lift helps clear the large transmission, otherwise you can do like me and take a big hammer to the firewall/floor pan body seam

Custom transmission mount/crossmember to pickup the large 4r70w (same size and shape as AODe)

then it is all plumbing, drivelines, exhaust and some crazy and creative wiring..............

my 1988 Bronco II believes 110% it is a 97.5 mercury mountaineer...... when I say 110% I mean my truck is emissions legal even in California, every emissions sensor and component is still existing in my truck, even the fuel tank pressure sensor........

Did the conversion in 05/06 and been daily driving here ever since :)
The Mountaineer is an AWD transfer case right?

eeeeeeeew no
Yes it was AWD to start with

All 5.0 explorers 96-01 were either AWD (full time awd) or RWD
First thing I do to one of these trucks is eliminate the power sucking, MPG robbing, tire eating, wheel bearing chewing, heat creating, factory full time awd

You can use a few different part time 4wd (2wd, 4hi, 4lo) t cases behind the 5.0 transmission, the 4r70w, it is a traditional AOD 4 speed automatic case, 30 spline output, 6 bolt pattern
I have fit the NP205 and the BW4406M and 4406E into these conversions
the 4406m is a very popular option
It is also avail in electric shift version which can be used factory controller and switches to make it shift
My personal Bronco II used an adapter from Advance Adapters to convert the 4r70w to a 5 bolt 28 plie output, allowing me to retain the Ranger 1354manual t case...... I would not do that again, knowing what I know now. Adapter is like $700, rebuilding the trans to install it is like $500-2500 and I am now stuck with all custom setup. I would have stuffed a 4406 in my truck had I known better at the time.
If I had the money I would also consider an Atlas case or a doubler of sorts.........

yes he does!!! makes our lives easier

Back