• Register Today It's free!

V2.7 Backup Camera

Holligl

Reaction score
City, State
Hoffman Estates, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Platinum
It may be my imagination but I am now seeing colored shading in the warning zones where an obstacle is sensed. Red shading in the red zone, yellow in the yellow zone and green in the green zone. I back into the garage and it senses various things on the way in. Obviously the warning bells are going off at the same time. I don't recall this in 2.3 or 2.4 unless something was set differently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's there in 2.4 also. It's a setting that you an turn on and off. I don't remember exactly what it's called at the moment, I just turned it on a couple of days ago to see if I liked it.

go to the rear camera options you should have delay of the camera the 3 color bars and then the shaded 3 color area just select which one you want on or off

Also seems to be a new feature in 2.7, the lines "bend" in relationship to how the wheel is turned. This is subtle, but give you a much better idea of where the truck will be backing. The Audi backup system has this feature, had not seen it elsewhere.

the moving lines come with the park assist feature, was in 2.4 also

So only with park assist? Or is it on all with 2.7?

Cool. It will be tough but I'll make do with straight lines. Kind of makes sense that the car would show you where it is going with park assist since you are giving it control.

the moving lines come with the park assist feature, was in 2.4 also

So when I test driving the explorer it must of had park assist, because I really enjoyed this backup camera feature with the moving lines. When I ordered mine I didn't know that it was park of Park Assist, so I didn't order it.

I really like how this can assist in backing, is there a way to add it on now? Really all I want is the ability to modify the camera, I don't need the whole auto parallel parking.

Also seems to be a new feature in 2.7, the lines "bend" in relationship to how the wheel is turned. This is subtle, but give you a much better idea of where the truck will be backing. The Audi backup system has this feature, had not seen it elsewhere.

My previous Infiniti had this also. This makes the backup system much more useful. I backup down my driveway every morning with a couple cars and a basketball hoop on the other side. (Sorry, not trying to rub it in to folks that don't have this -- I didn't realize that it only came with park assist either)

The option of park assist, in the 2012 my is in the limited package w/ 302a, when I looked first at getting 2011 my I did not see it in the 202a package.

my 2010 maxima had the curved lines in the backup camera....my explorer does not because as others, i didn't know the guide lines only came with park assist....i'm just glad i still have a backup camera. i can do without the guide lines......

...I really like how this can assist in backing, is there a way to add it on now? Really all I want is the ability to modify the camera, I don't need the whole auto parallel parking...
...i'm just glad i still have a backup camera. i can do without the guide lines...
Hey guys!
I checked on whether adding the Active Park Assist was possible and found it’s not because it involves separate software programming and different wiring as well. That doesn’t stop you from enjoying the backup camera, like bluelion mentioned. :)

Cory

Thanks Cory. I do like the camera and I do get audible alerts and on screen notification where objects may be so that is really nice.

Hey Cory, I have a 2012 MY and turned on the park assist option but the lines on mine don't move. Any idea why not?

from what i'm gathering....your vehicle has to have the option of the "parralel park assistance" in order to get the guided lines in the back up camera....otherwise, it's just the back up camera with the distance guide...

AWESOME! My wife's parents have a Cadillac SUV and it's back up line curve when you turn the steering wheel. My wife and I then test drove an Explorer limited w/out park assist and I was a little disappointed. We then ordered a limited with 302A...pretty sweet surprise

Thanks Cory. I do like the camera and I do get audible alerts and on screen notification where objects may be so that is really nice.
You’re welcome, Woolaroc. ;) I agree; safety FTW! :D

Hey Cory, I have a 2012 MY and turned on the park assist option but the lines on mine don't move. Any idea why not?
CDNExplr,
The following section from page 292 of the 2011 Explorer Owner Guide 4th printing will be helpful if you have Active Park Assist:

“Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.”

For a free copy of the Owner Guide, go to the URL: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and select your vehicle from the drop down boxes.

...your vehicle has to have the option of the "parralel park assistance" in order to get the guided lines in the back up camera....otherwise, it's just the back up camera with the distance guide...
You’re right, bluelion. To have the active guidelines, you must have Active Park Assist. Thanks for the help! :)

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’re welcome, Woolaroc. ;) I agree; safety FTW! :D

CDNExplr,
The following section from page 292 of the 2011 Explorer Owner Guide 4th printing will be helpful if you have Active Park Assist:

“Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.”

For a free copy of the Owner Guide, go to the URL: http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and select your vehicle from the drop down boxes.

You’re right, bluelion. To have the active guidelines, you must have Active Park Assist. Thanks for the help! :)

Cory

Hi Cory,

On a separate thread I have a problem with my XLT on the fixed guidelines and visual park assist as mentioned by you above and the manual

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336163&highlight=rear+camera+guidelines

I cannot get it to be enabled even after setting it enabled. Thanks

Back