V6 Auto 4x4 to V8 Manual 4x4 can it be done? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 Auto 4x4 to V8 Manual 4x4 can it be done?

Crispy Niggets

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Bluff, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Can my V6 Auto 4x4 become a V8 Manual 4x4 ?

I found the article that contained the pdf about swaping the trany but what about swaping the engine and tranny?

Second how much will it cost?

subtract, if I found a doner explorer with the v8 (say a salvage vehicle)

Or how about, a used v8 explorer having a tranny swap to a manual tranny selectable 4wd ? How much will that cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read that three times, and it never made sense.

V8s/V6s..............auto/manny trannys...........auto/manny t-cases................it is too much. :confused: WTF?

Let's start over with a more clear description of what is going on here, and more important, what you would like to accomplish.

he wants to convert a v6 automatic to a v8 with a manual....

none of the stock v8 explroers were manuals.... and they had awd.. you can swap a manual tcase in if you want... section525 did it.... hehehe

Sure, just about anything can be done. Will it be cheap? Certainly not. This is a swap that will cost several thousand dollars. The easiest way to do this would be to start with a v8 truck, and work on swapping in a manual driveline, which is a bolt on deal after you buy a few adapters. Since there were manual tranny, manual t case f-150's with 5 liters you could even be able to do it with all bolt on factory parts.

Why would you go from a Auto 4*4 to a manual 4*4??, Auto’s preform better in just about every off-road condition, about the only thing a manual is better at is steep hill descent’s.

Aussie Explorer said:
Why would you go from a Auto 4*4 to a manual 4*4??, Auto’s preform better in just about every off-road condition, about the only thing a manual is better at is steep hill descent’s.

that really is a very controversial subject and depends a lot on one's personal preference.....

Yes agree there, Preference is a big one but when you look at the mechanics of a auto it is just a better performer off-road.

1. Soft sand> A auto will change gears effortlessly without loosing drive to the wheels, where in a Manuel selecting a higher gear is very difficult if not imposable until you hit a harder patch of sand.

2. Hill climb> Put it in 4*4 Low, then you can ether hold it in a lower gear or leave it in D and let the box choose the best gear for you. Manuel to high a gear you will not make it and try dropping down a gear on a steep rocky/muddy hill or changing up a gear for that matter.

3. Rock Hopping> No working the clutch, trying to hold friction point’s, not stalling wile keeping the speed down real low going over rock’s. Auto Low range In D or 1st and all you need to concentrate on is what is happening out side and apply the brake or accelerator as required.

4. Hill Decent> Manuel wins hear due to better engine braking ability

Some people prefer one or the other for different resins but if you were to put just about any 2 4WD’s that were exactly the same up ageist each other, one a Auto the other a Manuel and put them thru the 4 scenarios above then my money would be on the Auto doing 3 out of the 4 a lot easer and better.

Yes, your aguments about the 4wd is fine but, my explorer has an auto switch. Im talking about going from awd to selectable 4x4, basicly keeping my switch and forgeting about the awd.

Keeping your auto 4x4 switch will present another problem. I assumed you wanted a manual shift 2wd 4x4, 4 low. You will want to do a search for V8 BoatBuilders write up on putting a control trac transfer case from, I believe an Expedition in his v8. Auto 4x4(it's NOT AWD) does have some positives, but it also has drawbacks. They have a bad habit of smoking the TOD clutch, and that usually happens when you are down and out, and need the 4wd system to work. Been there, done that. In any serious off road truck you would be much better off with a conventional 4wd system. As for manual vs automatic transmission, it's all about the driver. Some drivers have no problems driving a stick in any terrain. Some of the best off road trucks out there are manual tranny.

Back