• Register Today It's free!

V6 clattering

flash041

Reaction score
City, State
Monona WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
my 04 with 4.0 V6, 198k started making a Loud clattering noise that appears to be coming from the timing cover area. Also the enging wont go past 3,000 rpm, even when floored. The last few weeks when cold at time there was a noise sounding like marbles , but would go away when warmed. Now the clattering is VERY Loud!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a Timing issue. Tensioners go bad and the chain starts to wear through the guides. Stop driving before the pistons make contact with the valves.

sounds like a very loose timing chain. once that chain breaks you will most likely need a new engine. I would stop driving immediately and have it checked out by a mechanic. good luck!

I just pulled the driver side valve cover. The chain looks fine. Tight and no slop. Could it be one of the other chains in the front cover? Like I said it caltters but idles smooth.

I just pulled the driver side valve cover. The chain looks fine. Tight and no slop. Could it be one of the other chains in the front cover? Like I said it caltters but idles smooth.

Has it been started recently? If it has, the tensioners will hold pressure. Need to check chain slack when the engines been off for quite some time. At least 4 hrs maybe.

I started it to move it into the garage. I will check them later. If its tight I plan to pull the front cover to check the other two chains. in the front, the primary one and the balance shaft chain and tensioners. Are these availble seperatly if I find those bad? I really dont want to pull the engine I have to.If thats the case I will sell it as is now!

I threw in the towel today. After 16 years of Exlorers I bought a 2008 Escape. If any one is looking for a project I will be selling my 04 Explorer. It is located in Janesville WI. Body in good shape, good trans , leather ,XLT , moon roof.

I just wanted to post an update. The person I sold my Explorer to pulled it apart and the passenger side tensioner was broken. He said other that that every thing else looked really good for and engine with 198k on it. There was still crosshatching on the cylinder walls! I bet I could of easily made it to 500k if it did not have those #$^%$@ plastic timing chain guides!! Oh well. I do like the Escape. I will see how long it holds up. I have had it 6 months and have already put on 22k on it!

Back