v6 ohv to V6 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v6 ohv to V6 sohc

i figure that it will cost too much to throw in a v8 to my sport. So i was wondering if a v6 sohc will fit on a v6 ohv tranny (direct bolt)? if so what all would have to be done for this swap? (computer, motormounts, driveshaft). I know this sounds like a dumb upgrade but think about going from 160hp from the ohv
to 205hp in the sohc. Any help will do

thanks
dominic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the tranny will bolt up.

BTW, this could end being as expensive or more expensive as the V8 swap. It has only been done a few times.

IMHO, this would be almost as time consuming and expensive as a 5liter swap and not worth it.

just do the 5.0 swap...in the end you'll be happier

thats the way

thanks for your help, i guess ill think more about the 5.0 swap
thanks for your time
dominic

I thought I read a few posts that say an ohv tranny can't hold up to the v8 and needs to be swapped too?

The tranny would need to be swapped if a 5.0 was being put in. The tranny from the 5.0 explorers is a lot better than the tranny's on the V6 OHV and SOHC.

the 4liter OHV tranny wont even bolt up to the 5 liter

Originally posted by james t
the 4liter OHV tranny wont even bolt up to the 5 liter

And even if it did you wouldnt want it to. Those trannies are crap. The 4R70W should be able to swap right in there without much hassle. If I were you just buy a wrecked 5.0 explorer and yank all the stuff off of it for your project. Or if you dont want to mess around with all that just sell your OHV and buy a newer 5.0 explorer, which will give you a newer vehicle and also the better engine without having to swap them. But I dont know your situation, so I am just throwing ideas at you right now. Just pick which one will better suit you and go with it.

This is one of the easiest and most direct swaps available for the OHV. Especially a 98'. Here's a link to a post made on a Ranger site where a guy did this to his 97 Ranger with the 4.0 OHV to a 98 4.0 SOHC.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104108

We have two guys who have done it now. One in a 97 and the other in a 00'. The transmission will bolt to the OHV and the SOHC and hold up to both. The main things needed are the accesories and a few small items like throttle cable and computer.

Later Doug904.

What would be the most ideal(by ideal i mean easier :) ) year sohc to get if I wanted to do a 96 ohv --> sohc swap?

One from a 97-98 Explorer because the fuel system would be the same then. The 99up SOHC's have a returnless system and if you got one of those you would have to find a return style fuel rail and wiring from a 97-98 to work.

Later Doug904.

Can you all tell me how to tell the diffrence between a SOHC and the OHV ... Just want to make sure what engine I have. Ive been searching but havnt found any detailed info. Thxs!

The cover of my ohv says "4.0 EFI" on the cover.

Steeda, with a '98, you will have an SOHC. An OHV engine has a single cam in between each bank of cylinders. The valves are still (obviously) over the top of the cylinder, hence *drumroll*, OHV. The valves are opened through a system of pushrods (another term for OHV). SOHC has the cam situated above each bank of cylinders, and thus "Over Head Cam" (so actually, a SOHC has two cams). Hope that was what you were looking for and that it helps.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine4.htm

Ford installed both the OHV and the SOHC in the Explorer's up to 00' so you could have either one in your Explorer. The easiest way, look at your VIN number, the 8th digit will be an X if its a OHV 4.0 or an E if its a SOHC 4.0. If you could see under the hood of both you'd defintaly be able to tell but I don't have any pictures that would really help.

Later Doug904.

The fuel system on v8, sohc, and ohv's are the same in relation to the years?

Like all 96's (v8/ohv/sohc) have the same fuel system, and all 97's the same, etc...?

Back