V6 OHV vs SOHC Torque/HP curves

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
So off the line, the OHV may have a small advantage!
SOHC develops all its power at 5200RPM

358158961_kNPCN-X2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who is taking off at only 1500 RPM unless they want to go slow? I mean past a fraction of a second, mine is only in 1K-2K range when not accelerating because the SOHC does like to rev high. I usually accelerate in the 3K-3K5 range tho' you have the higher 4.10 diff vs my 3.73 which helps your OHV take off too, downside being you're out of RPM on the highway.

Who is taking off at only 1500 RPM unless they want to go slow? I mean past a fraction of a second, mine is only in 1K-2K range when not accelerating because the SOHC does like to rev high. I usually accelerate in the 3K-3K5 range tho' you have the higher 4.10 diff vs my 3.73 which helps your OHV take off too, downside being you're out of RPM on the highway.
Yeah, I wouldn't want think of my truck with higher gearing. I know some came with 3.23:1. It is nothing to write home about on the highway(not horrible, but you will rev quite a bit to pass), but initial takeoff is very nice.

I took my '98 out tonight and paid a little more attention than usual. I usually accelerate closer to 2K5 to 3K2 RPM, would have to feel like I needed to get going for a reason to push much past 3K.

My Job 2 4.0L SOHC (with 4:10's) accelerates very strongly from around 30 MPH. I honestly believe it may be quicker/or as quick as my 5.0L V8 in that RPM range. I've driven a 4.0L OHV and found it to be quite weak by comparison. Still, I'd take a 4.0 OHV over the POS SOHC anyday. I seldom push my trucks past 3K. They're old (like me) with around 200K so abusing them would just be asking for trouble.

Funny for me to see these charts. I NEVER go anywhere near the SOHC full power potential. I got my 98' SOHC about 10 years ago with approx 100K on it. Being a broke 20 year old at the time, I needed it to last. I had enough sense to warm up the car every morning before driving and was always very contentious of how high I revved the engine. In the past 10 years I could probably count the amount of times I took the engine above 3K5. I drove it like a grandpa.

I'm at 255K now and she sings to me, runs beautifully, no timing chain rattle etc. My engine will outlast the body. Being in the North East, the fight against rust is real !

Love to see these power charts none the less. very cool

Funny for me to see these charts. I NEVER go anywhere near the SOHC full power potential. I got my 98' SOHC about 10 years ago with approx 100K on it. Being a broke 20 year old at the time, I needed it to last. I had enough sense to warm up the car every morning before driving and was always very contentious of how high I revved the engine. In the past 10 years I could probably count the amount of times I took the engine above 3K5. I drove it like a grandpa.

I'm at 255K now and she sings to me, runs beautifully, no timing chain rattle etc. My engine will outlast the body. Being in the North East, the fight against rust is real !

Love to see these power charts none the less. very cool

I believe driving an older vehicle gently is the best thing you can do to keep it on the road as long as possible. I almost never "beat on" my old vehicles and rarely push them beyond 3.5K. It probably happens once a year when some fool pisses me off to the point where I floor it to pass them, and then I wish I hadn't have done that. My newest Explorer has around 200k on it and I hope to have it a long time. I am a "grandpa" and this may be the last vehicle I ever own. I live in the south, so the bodies last for ever and I find Ford interiors (other than the driver's seat bottom, which I've recovered) hold up extremely well, no cracked dashes, no sagging headliners no rotted rubber even with the GA sun. I stay on top of maintenance and replace worn parts as needed, so I see no reason I shouldn't get another 100,000 miles out of my Explorer. How man more miles are left in me? IDK, LOL.

I believe driving an older vehicle gently is the best thing you can do to keep it on the road as long as possible. I almost never "beat on" my old vehicles and rarely push them beyond 3.5K. It probably happens once a year when some fool pisses me off to the point where I floor it to pass them, and then I wish I hadn't have done that. My newest Explorer has around 200k on it and I hope to have it a long time. I am a "grandpa" and this may be the last vehicle I ever own. I live in the south, so the bodies last for ever and I find Ford interiors (other than the driver's seat bottom, which I've recovered) hold up extremely well, no cracked dashes, no sagging headliners no rotted rubber even with the GA sun. I stay on top of maintenance and replace worn parts as needed, so I see no reason I shouldn't get another 100,000 miles out of my Explorer. How man more miles are left in me? IDK, LOL.

Thanks for that confirmation, Koda. I've noticed you're a quick responder to many of the problems people post, including my own, and I pay close attention when reading your responses. Raising my cup, may you outlast your well maintained trucks, another 100K and beyond ! Cheers

Thanks for that confirmation, Koda. I've noticed you're a quick responder to many of the problems people post, including my own, and I pay close attention when reading your responses. Raising my cup, may you outlast your well maintained trucks, another 100K and beyond ! Cheers

Thanks!

Back