v6 ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v6 ohv

I was thinking about rebuilding my v6 ohv but I was going to up grade. does anyone know where I can get performance:

cams, pistons, roller rockers ,rods
(anything internal)

thanks for your help

dominic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was thinking about it a while ago, but there are to many things I would have to do(custom drive shaft, wiring harness) and it is kind of a one man team around here.

besides the fact the 5.0 swaps are known for cracking the trans case on a 4.0 design, i have plans on rebuilding a 4.0 for my X, when i save up for a supercharger, but i m just gonna get a used engine from a junkyard, rebuild, and swap it...

I know I've seen a roots style blower kit for the 4.0 in the Summit catalog. It would require a hole in the hood and probably a scoop. I don't know what the internals a made of, so some upgrading/balancing woulding be a bad idea either. I'd imagine that internal aftermarket parts exist if they have blower kits.

OH GEEZE..

OKay first off
you can make good power with a OHV 4.0L.
Yes performance internals are very expensive for the 4.0L
Not as expensize as a complete 5.0L conversion however.
Everyone always says, forget it just go 5.0L. What they dont realize is that $8-15K is the average for a complete 5.0L conversion, assuming you dont cut any corners and rebuild everything.

Now I agree that to a point blowing a bunch of $$$ for pistons, etc in the OHV is a waste, but the OHV 4.0L is an EXCELLENT engine and with the right upgrades it can give a stock/mild 5.0L a run for its $$$.
After you open the intake and exhaust, take care of the cooling system, it's then time to look at the engine itself. Having the heads re-worked is where you will see the big difference with the 4.0L. A camcraft camshaft helps as well, either the 410 (streetable) or 422 (not as streetable)
After you get there you can look to upgrade injectors and fuel pressure and finally fine tune it with a chip and/or computer re-flash.

Of course there is also the supercharger which can make gobs of power on a 4.0L set up properly.
5.0L conversion is nice, that is for sure. The 5.0L drivetrain gives you better options for transmissions, power adders, etc....but there is also something to be said about the amount of time, work, $$$, and knowledge it takes to "just go 5.0L".

410fortune I had a 1995 with the 4.0, I had Intake, exhaust, chip, throttle body, cat back exhaust and some other misc mods. I dyno'd 151 rwhp, I believe stock is 115 rwhp. 6k miles later the crappy A4ld tranny blew up on me. If the guy wants to build up a 4.0, slap a supercharger on and still get beat by my 5.0 X then thats cool. But why waste time with that crap when he could get a rolled 5.0 and swap everything over for about 5 grand and have the reliability of the 5.0 engine/trans to each his own I guess

Believe me I understand your point!
Have you ever done a OHV to EFI 5.0L conversion?

I am on my 6th tranny, 5th behind my OHV 4.0L, 2nd ohv 4.0L in my BII in 6 years :)
When (I dont even say if any more) this A4LD goes I am dropping in a fresh OHV 4.0L and a C4 automatic, mostly because my truck will be a trail rig/ optional daily driver shortly. I have considered the 5.0L many times, and even now I may do a SOHC conversion, but all in all the ohv 4.0L is a perfect engine for wheeling, as long as you have a OHV compatible trans that will hold up to the torque....

I agree with Jamie to a point...I have 120k+ on my '99 OHV, and when it dies "I will go 5.0" It' Easir for me though because the 5.0 came stock in '99. So I'll jost need to find a rolled truck ;)

410Fortune, No I have never done a 4.0-5.0 swap, but I have done many other tranny/engine swaps in supras, dsm's and other imports. Those are way harder than any explorer swap. Considering he has a 99 X he should be able to get a 99-2001 5.0 X from a salvage yard for cheap, swap over the motor, trans, ecu, drive line and some misc wiring and have a damn near bullet proof truck. Trust me it wouldn't take more than a week for someone who knows what there doing or 2-3 weeks for the backyard mechanic.

performance parts

dmgraz:
There used to be a site called www.4.0performance.com or something like that. I think the guy's name was Doug. He answered all my questions via e-mail. He mentioned to me the next step in my build up should be ported heads, and then maybe new camshaft.

Karl

Head over to RangerPowerSports.com, and go to the 4.0 section of the forums. You'll learn everything you will ever want, talk to Doug904 (formerly ran 4.0 Performance), Wed Turner, Gerry, Bird, Rutt, the list just goes on and on.....

sounds like a good to upgrade the entire truck. You can buy a decent V8 AWD for under 8K and sell yours to help off-set the cost. Just a thought!

first off forget about the 5.0 i have a 4.0 (2001) and i SMOKE!!!!!!! 5.0 explorers its not even funny.....stick with the v6 man!

I wish I would have gotten the V6. :(

01XploderStud said:
first off forget about the 5.0 i have a 4.0 (2001) and i SMOKE!!!!!!! 5.0 explorers its not even funny.....stick with the v6 man!

Race me

01XploderStud said:
first off forget about the 5.0 i have a 4.0 (2001) and i SMOKE!!!!!!!
You smoke something, that's for sure. A 5.0 is quicker than the 4.0. 5.0 responds better to mods, but you can mod a 4.0 to beat a stock 5.0. What do you have done? Boomin just added nitrous ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

k im not drivin to virginia to race you, and for u husky fan im talkin stock vs Stock i beat v8 explorers........ next time i race one ill get it on comera for the world to see. u dont have to mod a v6 to beat a v8 its already been dun STOCK......
im guess cuz my truck ways less :)

Back