• Register Today It's free!

V6 or V8? That is the question...

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
I'm seriously considering getting a used 1998-2001 Mountaineer. I have already test driven one with the 5.0 and I loved the power it had. But I have been thinking, should I get the 4.0 SOHC or the V8? My biggest reservation about the V6 is reliability. I remember reading something on here about the timing chain, but that might not be it. On the other hand, I really love the rumble of a nice V8 but what worries me is gas mileage. I don't do a great deal of driving, I only fill up my tank about 2-3 times per month. Opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There really isnt a big difference in the two. I would say go with the V8, better reliability, more power, cooler:cool: . I bet just about every V8 here is getting better MPG than my V6:(

V8. Even with my mods I get better mpgs than the GF's SOHC. :cool:

I get about 14 MPG with my SOHC.

The SOHC had a problem in 98 and early 99 models. The cam chain guides and tensioners can fail and cause the motor to blow. Mine goes in next week to have all this fixed and I might even need the rear ones fixed which will most likely require taking the motor out. A 99 would still be covered by ford if it has less than 72K on it.

The SOHC chugs gas once you go past 4K. Below it, and you will get close to 20. I get around 18-19 city and usually average around 25 on the road. That's better than most V-8s I have seen, and I have two less plugs to worry about, and no cracked exhaust manifolds. ;)

If you do ANY towing at all, go for the V8 if you can afford it.

I kick myself every time I tow for buying the V6. Its adequate, but who wants to just be adequate:cool:

If it means anything to you, remember that there wasn't a 4WD option (from the factory) in a V8 Explorer until very recently. You'll have a choice of 2WD or AWD. No lockable transfer case and no low range.

Go with the V8. Love mine! Love the power! I'm getting about 18-20 mpg on the hwy in the 60-65 mph range. No heavy footing around town, easy stops. Tows great, too!

r.s.

Um how does the saying go?

BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER.

Yep I think thats it ;)

Go for the V8. Not only do you avoid the cam chain guide problems you get a much more stout tranny, and a motor that is tried and true. If you drive the 5.0 with a light foot the mpg isn't too bad.

Most guys in this forum would get a V8 if they had to buy their Explorer all over again. You have a choice now. If you get the V6 you'll regret it down the line just like the rest of us.

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
Most guys in this forum would get a V8 if they had to buy their Explorer all over again. You have a choice now. If you get the V6 you'll regret it down the line just like the rest of us.

I am with X~Factor

FIVE-O

Originally posted by Stephen
I got the V6 and have never wanted the V8 in the truck.

i'm content with my v6. a 5.0 would be nice, not necessary for what i need, and i'm sure it would have cost me a lot more. the only thing i really miss is the sound of a v8, but with some new mufflers, i might be able to help that a little:D

Gas mileage? In an Explorer? Go with V-8. Why? Because this is America and you can! I believe repair costs of V-6 would outweigh any gas mileage increase if there is any.

on average the V6 doesnt get much better fuel milage than the V8. get the V8.

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
Nope. I'm on my second Explorer, I never even considered a V8. I want low range.

It all depends on if you want 4wd or not. If you don't care, get the V8. If you want real 4wd with low range, get a V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See sig.....

Back