• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Davedude26

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi, I'm new here but I've got a 98' Ford Explorer Sport with the V6 SOHC engine and one of the back timing chains has gone bad and I'll have to pull the engine either way. So, I was hoping for some guidance as far as whether I should replace the timing chains or just replace the engine; and if I replace the engine would it be difficult to put the V8 in?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport

delexploder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood De.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer sport
Its a bit of an investment in both time and money not to mention sanity , blood ,skin , ......but I gotta say I smile every day when I drive mine

Davedude26

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Awesome thank you guys

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
Probably better just to look for a good solid used 5.0 somewhere. If I was going to replace my SOHC I'd look for a low miles (100k or so if I could find one) 5.0. And I mean the whole truck, not just the motor. :D

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I'd replace the whole truck with a V8. You could buy a very decent one for what it will cost you to pay someone to fix the V6 (which IMO is a turd of an engine anyway). You could install a V8 in a Sport, but you'd have to buy a good running complete donor vehicle, which would probably cost you a minimum of around $1000 depending on where you live. Then plan on doing the work yourself.

beach

Reaction score
City, State
south florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
Coyote F150
Better off buying a nice 4dr 5.0 and replacing the whole truck, unless you really want to do a swap into your Sport which is by far not an easy task, but don't know how mechanically inclined you are.

Had my 5.0 since new, solid engine and trucks.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
I'd consider what shape the rest of the vehicle is in when deciding whether to junk it or repair, including how much you've put into maintenance and newer parts already, whether it's otherwise set for a while or soon to need things like exhaust, transmission work, etc.

Yes you would be happier with the V8, but (depending on the # miles on it) replacing the timing chains and tensioners is obviously the lowest cost. Once you get past that, the SOHC has a reasonable lifespan and with the ~ $1000 saved you could replace a few more wear items while you have the engine out. You could do that to a used replacement engine too but then the additional cost continues to rise.

Flash

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
Another option is to leave the engine in place and remove the transmission to get to the rear chain.
You've made it 18 years with a dodgy chain setup, I'm sure you could do at least that if you replace it with the new, improved chain guides.

For my purposes I want 4wd with low range, the V8 doesn't have that.

scott9050

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Depending on mileage you could get a good used engine and replace the guides while it is out. There is a bunch of them on car-part.com, some with under 100K.

C420sailor

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
I swapped a SOHC from a 2011 Ford Ranger into my Ex. Engine was from a wrecked truck with 36k on the clock. I replaced a lot of gaskets and parts while I was in there for good measure, and now it's like having a new trucklet. I love it, and highly recommend the swap.