• Register Today It's free!

V6 repair / replacement

Gordp

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Hi, I am new to the site. Thanks for letting me join and ask questions that may be ... dumb. But this is my Son's first truck and I need some advice/help.

I bought him a 2000 Explorer Sport with the SOHC 4.0l V6, body and interior is real nice. It runs rough and has a lot of noise from the front of the engine. The posts all seem to suggest this is the chains. I expect this is the Jack Chain and Tensioner and possibly/probably the Cam chain Tensioners.

Gas milage is pitiful, he is getting 300KM to a tank. Not good for a kid in grade 12.

I have replaced the Ball joints, upper and lower, Shocks, Brakes, Ebrake, bearings and Hubs and other misc. items. So lot's already invested.

The engine has 155KM and I think I need to fix at least the Chains. Ford Dealer is quoting me $1500. to fix the Tensioners and chain rattle. I have found a new (500 miles) 2004 4.0 SOHC available for $1600.00. Seems like a great deal versus the price of all the work and parts to fix the exisiting engine.

So my question:

Will the 2004 engine drop in? What will I have to change? Do the economics work? Anyone done this or similar?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Gord

Welcome to the site. I believe that the 04 motor will bolt in.

$ 1,500 sounds high to so the timing chains, it is not that hard to get the motor out. I would get some estimates. You can use the "search" feature on this site and do some research. There are some here that the timing chain was fixed by 2000. These motors typically go 300 KM when properly cared for. If you do a swap, fixing the timing chains is simple once the motor is out of the vehicle.

The new motor will work economicaly if you drive a lot of miles.

You should be getting 16 to 20 MPG You should be getting at least 400KM per tank.

I just saw this one check it out.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192627
Have you read the codes to see if there is something else wrong?

Back