v6 superchargers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v6 superchargers

i have a 98 4.0 v6 ohv and wanted a supercharger anybody know where to find one? also i was thinking about droppping in a sohc in my xsport 5spd, what mods will i have to do, and will the superchagre for the ohv fit the sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you done any research on these mods?

1) look at all my supercharger threads
2) might as well do a v8 swap for the work
3) not a direct swap, as the intakes are different.

I'm not planning on doing these swaps soon, and definettly dont want to swap a v8 in! i just wanted to know a few websites to find a soperchager to compare the price, boost, mods needed, and the extent of the content of the kit. i also want to get some feedback on them and i dont want to go searching trough all your posts one by one to find mybe you could post a link to one of them?

hoenstly theres somethin useful in most of those threads. but ill break some of it down for you

for the OHV theres a BBK kit that uses an eaton. Thats the only kit I know of

for the SOHC the Explorer Express kit thats coming is the only S/C kit out there.

For the 302 you could get an Explorer Express Eaton Kit or a powerdyne kit. To make a Mustang S/C kit work you have to do some fabricating of the accessory brackets.

As far as the V8 swap goes the easiest way is to find a 98 explorer for the donor to take the engine, trans, possibly the drive shaft, most likely the radiator and the PCM. To run more power youre gonna need to go ahead and upgrade the fuel system. You also need to compare wiring diagrams to make sure all the harnesses will plug in without switching or splicing wires.

Theres alot of details involved here and want to or not youre gonna have to dig through those threads or youll have a ton of headaches. V8 swap wont work in the search engine so use *V8 Swap and V8* swap (the * will make it work)

Honestly, the SOHC is a real waste if youre going to go ahead and do a swap. The EE S/C kit and headers are available, thats about it. Theres more 5.0 parts than you can shake a stick at and its about the same amount of work. The V8 wont have to work as hard, and should get the same or better mileage than the SOHC if you keep your foot off the floor

Does no one remember the Vortech kit??? For the 4.0?

Man, Doug904.:(

i really like vortech it is one of the greatest street blower ever built in my opion. i think they are great for just about every thing. they make good hp, torque and are pretty cheap to get ahold of for just about any car or truck new. for price and power i dont think you can beat it with a stick. the only problem is when they dont make it for your app.

They stopped making the kits quite a few years ago, that's why I don't recommend it anymore.

The Vortech can and will be done. The amount of little mods that you need to do get this kit in is cake. Ranger guys do it all the time. Doug is your number one resource when it comes to S/C'ing your 4.0. When you get serious about it let him know. He'll walk you though and is a wealth of info on 4.0 forced induction.
later,
Jeff

Originally posted by Alec
They stopped making the kits quite a few years ago, that's why I don't recommend it anymore.

Uhh, What? Call Vortech and order one and see if it shows up, it will. Paxton stopped making the kits vortech is still going very strong and has since the mid 90's. BBK was the one with all the problems and still hasn't got the support nor the power the Vortech kits make.

And, for anyone who thinks the BBK is better over the Vortech because of boost lag and no bottom end torque I'd love to personally give a ride in my truck to see what a 1.7 sixty foot time feels like. If you say a Vortech kit doesn't have torque then you've never ridden in a Vortech supercharged vehicle.

later Doug904.

Doug your starting to get me excited. You should stop before I have to start typing with one hand. LOL

i am with doug, people just dont understand that eaton blowers are not god's gift to the world and that it will out preform every thing. although they do make full bost sooner. the vortechs are more efficiant and make better all around power up top and can run away from eatons easy. my brother is running less bost than all the lightings in the country going faster than 12s and he will still destroy them out of the hole with his vortech and that is without spray or methanol injection which is something the lighting guys cant live with out.

Originally posted by Doug904
Uhh, What? Call Vortech and order one and see if it shows up, it will. Paxton stopped making the kits vortech is still going very strong and has since the mid 90's. BBK was the one with all the problems and still hasn't got the support nor the power the Vortech kits make.

And, for anyone who thinks the BBK is better over the Vortech because of boost lag and no bottom end torque I'd love to personally give a ride in my truck to see what a 1.7 sixty foot time feels like. If you say a Vortech kit doesn't have torque then you've never ridden in a Vortech supercharged vehicle.

later Doug904.
He has a 98 4.0L OHV ... Vortech claims this will only work on a 91-94 4.0L. Is it possible to get this to work on a 95+? I would imagine that it would require at the very least a custom tuned chip for the extra fuel and timing retard since the 91-94 uses OBD-I and a chip for that year will not work on a 95+ Explorer. Anyone care to explain how this kit could be used on a 95+?

yes the older kit does fit the new pushrod motors. there are a lot of rangers running around out there with the older vortech kit on there newer truck. no chip is the same from year to year so even if it comes with a chip for a 93 you need to have one for your 94. no matter what you should get a apten chip instead of what ever they send you.

Just to let you know, that 4.0 website no longer exists. I would love to add a SC to my Ex Sport. I know it would be a lot less work than doing a V8 swap. Thanks for the info on the Vortech, I am going to look into this right away.

Back