• Register Today It's free!

V6 Transmission

locust43

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
So I bought a slightly used 2006 Ford Explorer XLT V6 with only 7k miles on it leather and everything. But I heard I need to reset the adaptive shift so it learns to my driving is that correct? And also how exactly does adaptive shift work?

Also when I went to get on the interstate I had to floor it and I was going around 35 MPH and I quickly floor it and it was very slow to shift down the first gear from 4'th gear ( I was already out of overdrive ), is there any way I can make shifts faster?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Is this vehicle equipped with the throttle by wire system? The dealer could flash the PCM, and reset it.
Yes it is the throttle by wire system. But on my other car's with by-wire systems like my 2002 Toyota Camry I4 and my 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid which is complete by-wire including the brakes they are very responsive, but this Explorer feels sluggish in both acceleration and shifting compared to a 97" Explorer I have driven.

I had a 98 4x4 xlt Explorer and it was way faster than my 06 4x4 xlt. I talked to some service techs and they said they changed transmissions to a smoother shifting more car like tranny instead of the older rougher kind that was in my 98. Also The 06's are heaver, longer, and wider I believe using the same engine. IMO the V6 is just plain under-powered

An individual driver's "learned" parameters are all stored in the Keep Alive Memory (KAM), which is reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Might have to reset your radio stations.

If there has been a update/change to the powertrain control module's program, then the dealer might have a new strategy (tune) to reflash the PCM. But, that doesn't pertain to the adaptive learned parameters. Although, they will be "wiped" when the PCM is reflashed.

Back