V6 vs. V8: MPG | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 vs. V8: MPG

I have a 2004 4x4 V6 with 3.73 rear end and is currently averaging 10.8. Recently driving 60mph with a slight headwind towing a small lawnmower trailer I did a whopping 9mpg. Pile of junk. The highest I've ever had it go is 17 highway. And since there's no idiot light the dealers all say "well it will come up fine unless there's an error code." I miss my '91 5spd explorer that got 21.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm actually diappointed with our '06 Mounty. Love the ride and the power. But we're getting only 12-13 mpg. I thought the problem was the worn tires, and needing an alignment. But now with new tires and an alignment, it hasn't improved. Maybe it will come up a bit after winter (when we're not pre-heating), but I don't see getting much better than 13. I was really hoping for 16.

I'm actually diappointed with our '06 Mounty. Love the ride and the power. But we're getting only 12-13 mpg. I thought the problem was the worn tires, and needing an alignment. But now with new tires and an alignment, it hasn't improved. Maybe it will come up a bit after winter (when we're not pre-heating), but I don't see getting much better than 13. I was really hoping for 16.

Is this city, highway, or a mix of both? The winter takes off at least 2-3 mpg so hopefully once it warms up it will look a bit better.

last night I filled up and reset the computer, I went on an 80 mile highway trip, i was getting 19.9 mpg crusing 75 to 82 mph.

New to me but so far 17 & 18 in town and 21 & 22 highway at 70. 4.6 with
34k miles. Michelin tires look like they might be original. I have the option of 91 octane with no ethanol here in wi.

06 Explorer Eddie Bauer - 4.6 V8 w/ 3.73 rear w/ regular fuel - 80K miles on odometer.

16-17mpg around town, 21-22mpg highway, 15mpg highway towing 3K# boat.

Overall, coming from a Suburban as my previous vehicle, I am thrilled by the gas mileage of the V8. I borrowed my buddies 09 F150 and I couldn't believe how much better on gas the explorer is while towing. Very happy I went w/ the 8c over the 6c.

2007 Limited 4X4 V8 Tow Package
I get 10-11 in town and 18-20 on the hwy
This is with my wife driving (who drives like my Grandma).

2006 4.0 XLT 4x4. 15-16 in town only (99% of my driving) and 20-23 on the highway.

I really wanted a V8 but the vehicle was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up.
To my surprise, it tows my boat as well as my 4.9L '95 F150 4x4! (It's tough to admit that...)

Is this city, highway, or a mix of both? The winter takes off at least 2-3 mpg so hopefully once it warms up it will look a bit better.
All city.

06 Explorer Eddie Bauer - 4.6 V8 w/ 3.73 rear w/ regular fuel - 80K miles on odometer.
fyi,
Starting in '06, V8 trucks got the 6-sp trans and 3.55 gearing regardless off tow package or not. For V8 trucks, I think the tow package only included the bigger hitch and 7-pin connector at the rear.

V6 still got the 5-speed, so the tow package included the 3.73 gearing.

2006 4.0 XLT 4x4. 15-16 in town only (99% of my driving) and 20-23 on the highway.

I really wanted a V8 but the vehicle was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up.
To my surprise, it tows my boat as well as my 4.9L '95 F150 4x4! (It's tough to admit that...)
Was that '95 F150 the V8 (aka small-5.0L), or the straight-6? Seems like those were about the same displacement. My buddy had an F150 with the inline-6 (5-speed) and loved it.

06 V8 mpg (2WD)

My daughter drives the car 95% of the time. All city, heavy foot. The computer says 13mpg most of the time. Fortunately for me she buys most of her own gas ;-)

I drove it last night on a 70 mile round trip combo 65% highway / 35% city purposefully light footing it and got 22.1 mpg. The highest highway mileage I saw was 23.5 at 65. At 70 it dropped down a bit. This is of course all "indicated" on the trip computer I'd say this is not bad.

FWIW - I put 10.5 gallons of regular gas in it to the tune of $40 and it indicated about 1/2 tank. I used about 1/4 tank (indicated).

Other facts - 75000 on vehicle. Amsoil 5W30 in the crancase. Stock Fluids in Trans and diff. Regular gas. I have tried to put Amsoil in my trans and diff but my mechanic couldn't figure out how to do it! (didn't have the proper tools). Sealed trans = BS.

Don
www.lubedealer.com/dstevens

I drove about 240 miles from Auburn to Atlanta and back...I got about 19.5mpg doing 80mph most of the way and it would have been better if their weren't so many idiotic drivers on the road.

Other facts - 75000 on vehicle. Amsoil 5W30 in the crancase. Stock Fluids in Trans and diff. Regular gas. I have tried to put Amsoil in my trans and diff but my mechanic couldn't figure out how to do it! (didn't have the proper tools). Sealed trans = BS.

Don
www.lubedealer.com/dstevens

going to hijack this, a little,

take a car with a dipstick 3 year and 36k miles on it, and the fluid discolors
take a car with no dipstick and the fluid is brand new. this is the reason my they took the dipstick out. the fluid gets less contamination by 1000x times.

just pointing this out. also why trans service is so much higher mileage then vehicles with dipsticks.

its not all bad.... just harder for the diy.

Back