• Register Today It's free!

v8 engine swap

Chief365

Reaction score
City, State
Dalton Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
im looking at doing a v8 swap on my 92 sport 5 speed i found an 89 f15o with a 302 manual 5 spd does anyone know if this would be a good choice for doing the swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im looking at doing a v8 swap on my 92 sport 5 speed i found an 89 f15o with a 302 manual 5 spd does anyone know if this would be a good choice for doing the swap

I would think i might be easier to use a v8 explorer because then you can grab the computer and wiring harness while your at it.

that will work yes! Just keep in mind no matter what V8 you choose there will be these area's to address:

-cooling, where can I fit a radiator/fan/shroud
-oil filter re-locate, the 5.0L oil filter is directly in your steering box, so you must re-locate it
- dual sump oil pan and pump
-engine mounts - several options
- exhaust manifolds, downpipe, etc - several options
-heater box w or w/o ac needs to be clearanced
- firewall tunnel clearance
-winring adaptation/insruments/gages/interface with the trucks systems (fuel, hvac, abs, dash, power distribution, lighting, cruise control and AC)

the 89 F-150 5.0L drivetrain is not going to impress you, in fact the 4.0L you have now makes similar power and torque

I suggest LOTS of research before you buy anything

Carb or EFI?
5 speed or auto?
2wd or 4x4?

whenever somebody asks about putting a SBF into a first gen explorer I will always recommend the Gen II Explorer 5.0L drivetrain

it has so much going for it
it is EFI, OBD-II, DIS, MAS, full roller GT-40 5.0L pushrod awesomeness and the transmission behind it is even better...when Ford put the 5.0L into the explorer they made it that much easier for you to put one in yours, the last 5.0L made was the 96-2001 Explorer 5.0L, the best one Ford ever built in a standard production vehicle

if i go with the v8 out of a 5.o explorer can i get a manual transmision that will work for it

yes do a search, there are a couple of 5 speed 5.0L explorer computer trucks on here
its a bit more work since the auto trans was the only trans avail in the 5.0L ex

Back