• Register Today It's free!

V8 Exhaust Gasket Leak

bojans

Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Took my 06 V8 with 95k into my local shop to have them locate an exhaust leak that has been going on for a few month. The leak is not that bad and only occurs when the car is cold. Shop located the leak and the culprit appears to be a passenger side manifold gasket. They did not want to touch the replacement of this part because they are concerned if one of the studs snaps off the only way to repair that is to pull the head and then you are into big money. They suggested seeing if any of my local Ford dealers had a method for dealing with a broken stud in the engine compartment.

Is this a real concern or are they just being overly cautious?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Studs do break off from time to time, and probably the only way to fix it is to pull the head due to clearance issues. And there's really no way to prevent it, either. It's just one of the hazards of doing work on the exhaust system. The shops issue is they don't want to be left holding the bag on the labor involved to do that if THEY break the stud. I'd tell them that they'll get paid, no matter what.

I might have same problem on my 06 v8. It's loud when cold,then quites down. If I need to pull the heads off, I would do the plugs, and chain guides and all that crap that goes bad with timing on those engines, over time they start to sound like diesel since the chain developes some play on the plastic guides. I am not looking forward to that job.

After speaking to the shop that is going to do the work for me we decided if the studs break they are going to pull the engine from the vehicle. Labor to R/I passenger head is ~ 21hrs, labor to R/I the long block is ~ 23hrs. If they need to pull the engine I will have the exhaust gaskets on both sides replaced, replace the rear main seal, chain guides and probably a water pump. I don't want to go through all of this but if I do it then I am keeping the vehicle for a while longer. Am I missing anything that should be replaced if they have to pull the engine? Any suggestion for a penetrant to start soaking the manifold nuts in?

The rs manifold warps on the 3v motors. If you just replace the gasket it will come right back. Studs do break occassionally but usually come out easily on these motors.

Thanks swetrid. So it is only the right side manifold that warps?

Yes, never had a problem with left side.

I changed the right side gasket on my 2007 a few months back. I had a ticking sound that sounded like a bad lifter. I think the key to not break the studs is to heat the nut with a torch. Before I even started I found a broken stud. I broke off an extractor and could not get clearence to drill it out. I repalce the 7 remaining studs and nuts and my problem was solved. I know it was not the best fix but I did not want to pull the head for a stupid exhaust leak. Good luck.

Back