v8 exhaust ONLY....Cant get a straight answer!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 exhaust ONLY....Cant get a straight answer!!

Seanc11b...

your X sounds sick :thumbsup:

Ive checked out your X,and Zerodevil's X many times...

they both sound mean !

So I guess mine sounds girly then? Break my heart:splat:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Limited, Ive told you before I like your 70 series set up...

you need to get a K&N for your X, and that will make the 70 sound even better

Limited, Ive told you before I like your 70 series set up...

you need to get a K&N for your X, and that will make the 70 sound even better

:D I was just playing.

I planned on a few go fast goodies and some lowering by now, but slow work and a few recent bills has kept money tight. I have a 70' and 72' Bronco that I am getting ready to list for sale and when that gets sold, then the X is paid off and money frees up;)

got a quote from audio planet and not very happy with what they told me they said they can only do magnaflow and the kit is 599 not including labor!!! Forget that.. Im not paying anything close to that. if I get a fm50 and 2.5 or 3inch pipe does any of it have to be bent is there pre-bent tubes i can buy from somewhere close by. Or can I just have pipe muffler and a straight piece of pipe coming out the back? Midas told me about 450 not happy with there customer service though so wont go back there. My next store neighbor is a mechanic and a welder so wondering if he can do it with just straight pipe. The kits online like magnaflow show bent pipes that are not straight at all.

I paid 395 for my Magnaflow catback kit on autoanything.com with coupon code mt50 for $50 bucs off. did the install in the driveway, it was prettly easy.

I think I had a shop do mine for around $260. Included labor, 2.5" exhaust from the Y, through a FM 70 and out the back in the stock location(actually raised it closer to the bumper;))

Are the pipes just straight from muffler out the back or are the pipes bent? im guessing they are i have the same exact truck as you and I wish I could have ur exact exhaust for that price. Unfortunately I live in New York and those prices are hard to come by unless you know someone or search around and go to a bunch of different shops. Also the 8.6% or w/e sales tax also kills me on anything i get in NY.

Are the pipes just straight from muffler out the back or are the pipes bent? im guessing they are i have the same exact truck as you and I wish I could have ur exact exhaust for that price. Unfortunately I live in New York and those prices are hard to come by unless you know someone or search around and go to a bunch of different shops. Also the 8.6% or w/e sales tax also kills me on anything i get in NY.

My exhaust is run in similar fashion as the stock exhaust. Guy did pretty good considering nothing was there(had a 40 series with dumps).

I got lucky with who did mine, I asked around and every car guy kept mentioning the same shop. Before I even went with a 70 because I thought it was too quiet,the owner of the shop gave me the keys to his truck(chevy) and said drive it around(had a 70 series too) and it sounded perfect:D

The muffler alone was about $125.

Ok guys I'm going to try to take a video tonight of the exhaust if ya'll still want to hear it. I haven't actually driven my X since Sunday, so hopefully she doing ok!

looks like i will be waiting a little longer again. My nextstore neighbor just got a 02 ranger and is planning an exhaust for his. He said hes going to by a tube bender so im going to wait for him to buy that :). Added it up gonna cost about 250 300. Im defiently getting the k&n first. Im torn between two setups. i love both limited02 and seanc11b setup/sound. Going to go with flowmaster defiently and 2.5 inch pipe. I heard with 3inch u loose some low end torque. Its just between 50 series or 70 series. Also just going to do single out the back. Down the line im gonna get a throttle body i beleive zerodevil has 70mm on his which looks like u just take stock off and put in new. Anyone now how much a throttle body benfits perfomance like how much horsepower or mpg?

you wont lose the low end TQ by installing a 2.5 or 3'' exhaust...

i bought into this also, but really its a matter of the A/F ratio being changed, and a tune will correct the A/F, and give you the best possible results in HP/TQ gains from the exhaust, and supporting mods...

Start-up vid coming in the next few hours. It's really loud when it first starts up. Like really loud. It seems to me like most of ya'll just want a tuned exhaust that's just kind of quite and mellow. I personally don't like quite exhaust. I think taking a stock muffler off and putting a flowmaster or whatever brand muffler on there is pointless. I'm thinking I might have one of the louder 3rd gen Explorers on this forum.

believe me fella if i had a V8, i would make it sound like an absolute monster lol

I put a lot of pick-up truck to shame. And it's only y-piped. I haven't even true dualed it yet. But I really think being y piped is the reason it sounds better.

Taking the vid I shot a little smoke when I got on it a little bit....not sure what to think about that. I do have 176k on it and it's missing 1 cat so idk.

Anyways, a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. It's only that loud when I first start it up. It gets much quieter idling, you just have to give it a few mins.
2. In gear, it does not pop at all- it only pops in neutral.

Video: (yes that's me)

Last edited:

Pics:
100_0269-1.jpg

So i went to midas casue i needed to now wut i can do for sure and pricing. So i was told I cant do 3 inch pipe unless i want to do a small piece after the hopover which would be pointless only for looks. He said theres not enough room to get 3 inch pipe in there. so the largest he said i can do is 2.5 so Im getting FM 50 2.5 pipe to the hope over then out the back and total after tax will be $511. Thats a pretty good number for me as to i now it will be done correctly. He also said it will be loud and asked if i was going to chip it. And of course i said yes so he recommended the 50 for more flow than the 70 and not as loud as the 40.

This also came today so exhaust will be done in 2 weeks after a gather enough cashflow
IMG_1397.jpg

By the way if anyone is intereted I raced a 2009 Chevy tahoe. And i was about a foot in front of him the whole time. Raced about 5 times at each traffic light. I was very surprised my 2002 x was pullin ahead against alot newer truck. This was before the K&N im putting in the extra 8 horse from that would of helped more. After i put that in and get the exhaust in a week I should have no problem beating the tahoe and alot of other sorry sob sacks!!

Man fedy, your X is gonna growl once you've done both intake and exhaust. Good to see you plan on getting it tuned after too, make sure you get those a/f ratios sorted.

I went to 2 local muffler shops and they both quoted me NZ$600. (US$400)
I asked for them to chop the 3rd cat as that where it looks like the exhaust narrows (IE 2.5" into the cat, 2.25 out). Not sure what brand the muffler is but they called it a high flow turbo. It looks like a straight through design so hope it has a good sound to go with the improved flow. They too said it would be loud and recommended a resonator in place of the 3rd cat.

Man fedy, your X is gonna growl once you've done both intake and exhaust. Good to see you plan on getting it tuned after too, make sure you get those a/f ratios sorted.

what does that consist of? how much is it? and where would i get that done? is it done when they tune it?

The best write up I have found on the process was by 2000StreetRod and it is here - imo intake and exhaust mods should be followed by tuning to help you get the most out of the mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that was great so a tune will correct everything, another question if i were to do the exhaust in a week. and wait to do the tune until spring would that damage my engine casue its running to lean?

Back