v8 explorer 2004

leem

Reaction score
City, State
langley bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xlt v8
v8 engine whine

2004 v8 getting awhine that makes truck sound sound like it has super charger whine comming from what sounds like front of engine repoaced idler pulleys last nigt no help really hoping not tensioner pulley also havea clicking from back rigt wheel e brake shoes? More concerned about the whine can hear truck 2 blocks away

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whine commen from front of engine sounds like super charger replaced idler pully's no change hoping not tensioner pulley any one else see this problem can hear truck 2 blocks away

It happens at idle right?
If it only happens while driving then check wheel bearings.
Otherwise you might want to check out the main bearing in the engine, but idk about newer explorers.

P.s. posting a video on youtube might help us diagnose the problem. Just an idea.

Happens when ever engine running

If I take off the felt and whine goes away will that rule out the main bearing

yeah power steering fluids are greaat

could it be the tensioner pulley or alternator

I know this will sound wierd, and I don't know if it could help or hurt. You have been warned :D

When I bought my 2003 4.0 it sounded like a fan was always going. Really loud whiring/fan noises. The only way I can really describe it is it sounded like a dump truck (the huge ones) with a full load starting from a stop. I couldn't figure out why it was so loud. It would get louder as the RPM's rose, but never went away, although it was less noticeable when idling.

Here comes the part I warned you about. :D I took it down to clean it at one of the DIY power sprayer washers. I sprayed the engine compartment down with the high pressure wand to clean off all the dirt. The truck was warm, and I wasn't super carefull about what I sprayed down. Whatever I did, stopped the whirring noises. All the fans seem to be working just fine, I don't see any frozen/stuck bearings in any of the pullys. I am at a loss to what exactly happened. I do however know that it wasn't a coincidence.

Does the whine increase when RPMs increase? By what you have told us I'm guessing tensioner. Don't know why that is what you are hoping against though. It is relatively cheap and if you were capable of removing your belt it is not that hard at all to replace. I've done mine-easily did it in 30 minutes.

Yah increases with rpm. Just tight to get into

Agreed. i have the same whine. seems to be coming from the right side of motor. i replaced a loose idler pulley but the noise is still there. moving the steering wheel changes the pitch of the noise. Pump bearing is my guess. But trying to get this out requires removal of the driver front wheel and the inner fender shield. does not seem like an easy task.

Fixed tensioner pulley

Back