v8 in explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 in explorer

Reaction score
City, State
pinckney, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ford explorer sport
i was thinking of putting a mustang 5.0 HO out of early 90s and i know what need to be done to fit the engine but any advise to fit the M5R2 5 speed trans and t-case cause i am searching on how to do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres a forum of a guy who did a write up on putting a 5 speed tranny and transfer case in his v8 swap not sure wich tranny it was though

5.0? Pfft. 351 Cleveland swaps are the way to go.

Custom engine mounts, more importantly: a custom steering column. The guys on the show "Trucks!" (in the Power Block lineup by Spike) swapped a 4.6L V8 into a Mazda B2500. The issues they had are pretty much what you can expect.

A 351 Windsor would be way easier, same as a 302 just a hair taller.

A Cleveland would cost way more plus be fairly hard to find. Not to mention it's huge in size and way heavier compared to the Windsor block 351. And if you want to run EFI, forget the Cleveland unless you have a few grand to shell out for a custom stand alone EFI. Cleveland's never had EFI since they were only made a couple years, aka 1969-1974.

What's your intentions? No need for a 351 really, the 302 is good enough in an Explorer, There is a thread of 302's being swapped into 1st Gens and there is a thread on a 2nd gen having a 5spd manual swapped into it.

A 351 Windsor would be way easier, same as a 302 just a hair taller.

A Cleveland would cost way more plus be fairly hard to find. Not to mention it's huge in size and way heavier compared to the Windsor block 351. And if you want to run EFI, forget the Cleveland unless you have a few grand to shell out for a custom stand alone EFI. Cleveland's never had EFI since they were only made a couple years, aka 1969-1974.
Damn. I'll see that engine in an Explorer. Mark my words.

Back