V8 or Supercharger???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 or Supercharger????

R

rock883

Well, I have been pondering the idea of doing a 5.0L swap in my 91 explorer, but I know it would cost a fortune, which I don't necissarily have. So I was maybe thinking of maybe a supercharger. I know that the installation would be 100 times easier for the supercharger, but what would be better. I have a kkn would it fit on the supercharger? How much of an increase in horsepower would I get from the supercharger? Also, another reason why I would rather do a V8 swap is because my engine has 147,x.. miles and I don't think that getting a supercharger would be that great of an idea because I know the engine will probably go in a while. How much is it to replace an engine? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i definetly think you've got to many miles on your engine to spend the money for a supercharger. i myself have 161,985 miles on mine, and wouldn't even consider putting a supercharger on mine. But if you should decide to get a supercharger, a vortech 8lbs boost would definitely have to be the way to go. it would add approxiamtely 100 hp, give or take a few. But that would cost you at least 4500 to get it done right, at least. plus you have to find someone who knows what there doing, it's not just a one day job, it invovles drilling holes in your crankcase, so be careful who you take it to. Personally, i would find an old totaled 5.0 in a junkyard, something that got hit in the rear, and just pull the engine out of that. what ever you decide, good luck and i hope i helped.

rock883,

I'm a huge fan of the 4.0 so my opinions are biased. Anyway, I would do a rebuild of the 4.0 before swapping it out for a V8. The fact that your engine has X amount of miles on it is not as important as how well has your engine been maintained.

If your engine is in top condition, do a rebuild. If it's kind of trashed, buy a young 4.0 from a junk yard and take your time tricking it out. Then, after its ready, swap it with your current 4.0 and you won't have to change the wiring harnesses or mounts. Obviously, you would want Superchips to burn a custom chip for you.

Just my 4.0 love'n opinion.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Rock883, just don't buy a Vortech Supercharger, I have one on my 91 XLT and by the time I spent 7 grand total on the charger & modifications to make it work right it still does not give me the performance that Vortech claims it will do. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the V8.

---------------

91 XLT 4x4
extremely modified

my man, anyone who knows anything knows ATI Procharger is the only way to go. My advice to you is rebuild the engine port and smooth out the air flow. Then get a procharger, if you want ultimate reliability and power go with the addition of an air to air intercooler. The inter cooler makes the boosted air cooler than before having a supercharger. Contact me and I can tell you about my friends great experience with his.
Charriol_kiley@hotmail.com

Have you concidered a Roots supercharger. Explorer Express has them for sale by BBK. They are a whole lot easier to install and give you power though out the whole range, not just at 3K and above. Dead Link RemovedPlus it comes with a Superchips chip that will need to be sent to the factory to be burned in for your particular application. Here's a link. Explorer Express Supercharger

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L. Dead Link Removed
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

[This message has been edited by Ray Lobato (edited 02-16-2000).]

Hey Cameron, I would do a rebuild, but no companies make anything for the 4.0, any ideas where I could go?

Vanir technologies makes internal parts. I think they even sell blocks.

Rock883,

The Godfather is correct. Vanir ( http://www.vanirtech.com/ )sells tons of high performance stuff for the 4.0L. Also Eaton makes a "supercharger" for the 4.0 at <A HREF="http://www.explorerexpress.com/parts/perform1.html" TARGET=_blank> http://www.explorerexpress.com/parts/perform1.html[/url] Although I don’t like those kinds of superchargers. It's not that its not a good product, it is. It's just that you can't "tweak" them. 6 Lbs. of boost is all you get. You can't inter cool it. Anyway, depending on the year of your Explorer, there are other superchargers like Paxton. If you cant find a supercharger made for your truck, you just need to modify one to fit. I make it sound so easy Dead Link Removed

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

I test drove a 1996 XLT 2wd V8, 3.73 rear, and was really impressed with the increased torque and acceleration. Made me want one. However, it would take 10K plus my 91 2wd XLT to buy a good used one and 20K+ for new. Got me thinking. Since Gloria says I can get my A4LD nearly bulletproof and I can rebuild my 4.0 with improvements and add a s'charger and get as good or better torque, that sounds like a cheaper route. Besides, I like having a cherry original.

Ray Lobato
Do you recall any reports on the Explorer Express BBK "Instacharger" for the V6? I thought I heard this BBK unit for the V6 was not available yet. And I have not done a search yet.
Mike 91 XLT

Ray
I did a search in this site and could not find any report by anyone who had installed an Explorer Express BBK "Instacharger" supercharger on a V6. But I recall someone saying the BBK supercharger is a modified Eaton unit. I think the "Roots" principle is a positive displacement pump which more or less "squeezes" the air to a higher pressure. Get an non-compressible fluid in there like water and a "roots" positive displacement pump can get somewhat "unhappy".
Mike, 91XLT in a rare sunny day in Seattle.

First, ATI does not make a supercharger kit for the 4.0. The only kits made for them are the Vortech/Paxton (centrifugal) and the BBK (roots). Both the Vortech and the Paxton produce about 4-5 lbs of boost stock. If you have a better breathing engine, your actual boost will be lower. This is the reason for the poor performance. Even with a custom pulley, the most boost I could get out of the Vortech was 6lbs. This same custom pulley also caused the compressor to need all new bearings after only 30,000 miles ($495). This was caused by overspinning the unit.

This same 6lbs of boost on a BBK will produce significantly better performance because the boost is available from as low as 1000 rpm. It takes at least 3000 rpm to feel any boost with the centrifugal types. The Explorer needs the boost to come on much lower in the rpm range for a couple of reasons. One, the truck is damn heavy. Two, the 4.0 is not a high revving engine.

Unless you make significant internal mods (especially pistons), the 4.0 really is not built to handle much more than the 6lbs. Also, the head gaskets are not modified..... again a good reason to stick with 6lbs. BBK is supposed to be making a 9lb kit also. It will be significanly more expensive because there are many additional parts needed.

My .02 on the swap/mod thing. I would freshen up your engine and modify it. When you are done, you will have as much power or more, and will still be able to work in your engine bay. Plus, there is something irresistable about beating someone in an impromptu street race...... and they ask what you got in that thing..... and you say "the stock V6". hehe Dead Link Removed

Back