• Register Today It's free!

v8 question

FordXplorerGrl

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Okay guys I need some advice about my new truck, I am a little worried. I was wondering what is the average gas milage people who own v8's normally get. I mean I know the avg that was on the sticker when I bought my truck was 19 mpg highway and 14 mpg city. I am currently getting 15mpg and I mainly drive highway miles. I wasn't really concerned until one of my friends was listening to my truck one day and told me that it sounded like it was missing a cylinder and he said that this could be a cause for my lower gas milage. could this be true? how can i tell that it is missing a cylinder? I don't know if he knows what he is talking about because he is an import guy and doesn't like fords. I have noticed the rough idel but I thought it was just the V8. My truck is ideling anywhere between 650 RPM and a 1000 RPM, the needle seems to wobble between them. anyway i was just wondering if there was anything i should be worrying about because I have never owned a v8 before so i really don't know what to expect. any input would be appreciated!

Thanks
Kristen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was mising a cylinder it would be really shaking. Without that spark, all the engine is doing is throwing that dead cylinder around. My guess is it could be something else.

If this helps, I have a V6 and I get 11mpg with stock tires. Those MFG mpg numbers are always a bit high.

I recommend you take it to your dealer and have them look at it.

Hey, I have a 98 V8 with AWD and I get about 18mpg on the expressway. Mine idles very smooth and very quiet. It does make a very light ticking noise when you accelerate but you can't hear it unless the radio is off and the windows are up. Unless you have a lead foot I would say that 15mpg is a little low for the highway. I get about 14 around town with, uh, sufficient (yeah thats it) acceleration. I'd take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

Sounds like vacuum..A vacuum leak would cause the surge and rough idle..Take it to the dealer, they can be hard to find and are not that unusal on a new vehicle..Don't think its that serious..Good luck.. Also, a dead cylinder is caused by dead plug, wire, cap, or such.. this will make one jump "fire". At night, open the hood, start the engine and carefully look, if it is jumping fire you should see and sometimes hear the spark..Look around plugs, plug wires, and coil and cap, becareful and don't touch anything..I does hurt when you get hit with jumping spark..

Kristen,

When I have purchased my brand new '00 EB 5.0 the gas milage was like yours. I was getting 14-15mpg on the highway. How many miles do you have on yours? It took little over 1,500 miles till it was normal. I am sure that your engine is in the break-in period. As for your rough idle...when does it happen? ...Cold start? Depending where you live, usually its normal for it when its really cold out. Does it idle rough when you start it with it warm or stop at a stand still on drive?..if so go ahead and get it checked out. Oh yeah..CougarX is right about the ticking heard from the engine is normal when the radio is off and window is up. I was given a demo '01 5.0(I drive the heck out of it too) and it was normal for the engine..I got this explorer for a day cause I had a defective airbag..due to the airbag light staying on.

Back